VIN question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: VIN question

Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    We did have a lot of fun, both on projects and riding together when he was younger. We rode to Bike Week together on our 450s when I was a junior in high school (I had to talk him into it, he had no idea what it was all about). He raved for months after that about how many bikes were in one place at one time. The silver CBX ran 11.86 in the quarter at Bradenton drag strip with the baffles out - a half second quicker by just pulling the baffles, no rejet. Glad you have your Dad to lean on for body work, it's another talent that is slowly becoming lost in our "progress".

There's more of his paintwork in my only photo album here
    I'll have to check it out. Like a lot of people on here, I love photos! Thanks for sharing, its awesome to see people's experiences with their bikes captured on film. And 11s aint no joke!
    I am indeed lucky. He's going to teach me what he knows over time, so for that I am grateful. Hopefully one day I can pass on what I know too.

As a side note... I think I know what you mean "progress". There's a good book on the disappearance of technical mastery and the trades Shop Class as Soul Craft by Matthew Crawford. Might be worth a read. I found this book the same time I did my first 350 rebuild. Almost dropped out of college to pursue mechanics...still kinda wished I would have haha
    2x 1973 CB350G

For early model Hondas, the color code for any painted part is indicated by the last three numbers of the part number. You will need an OEM Honda Parts Manual or a friend behind the parts counter at your local Honda dealer to cross reference this code. It may be three numbers, three letters or a combination of the two. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by courtney7393 View Post
    For early model Hondas, the color code for any painted part is indicated by the last three numbers of the part number. You will need an OEM Honda Parts Manual or a friend behind the parts counter at your local Honda dealer to cross reference this code. It may be three numbers, three letters or a combination of the two. Hope this helps.
    Courtney, that is some straight dope. Thanks for the response! Helpful info, I never knew that..
    2x 1973 CB350G

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

However, that doesn't mean the code from the Honda part number is going to correlate to a paint color by an American paint manufacturer... they weren't doing that then and may not be now. For the longest time, my Dad used a handful of the little factory touch-up cans of candy coat color from the dealer over an automotive silver base coat to achieve his factory replica paint jobs
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links