Front Sprocket Play
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Front Sprocket Play

Front Sprocket Play

Hello,

Rolling the bike with the engine off results in lots of noise (clicking and clacking) from the chain and front sprocket.

I found the front sprocket to be quite loose. I understand play is normal but I believe this to be unacceptable. Video demonstration here Steal my band name you're dead!

What do you think. The chain is nasty and old, new one tomorrow but that could also be causing noise or god forbid damage to the sprocket but idk if it works like that.

Thanks
    1971 CB350k3

It does look like a bit more slop than usual, but they generally have some play as designed. Couldn't hurt to replace the front sprocket with the new chain and inspect the rear sprocket for wear as well. Front sprockets are not expensive. Also, if you don't want a video (or any info associated with it) to be available to the general public (other than here) you can open a Google photos account and upload it there, then link it to here.
    thats_incentive likes this.
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time
    Budget drag bike project
    CB350K1 full patina project
    Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

It isn't the cost so much as the procedure, that thing looks intimidating. Any tips as I read up?
    1971 CB350k3

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

I think you're overestimating the complexity of the design - you take the 2 bolts out of the plate/sprocket, turn the plate until the splines line up, slip the plate off the splines and then slip the sprocket off the splines. The bolts are small (6mm thread size, 10mm head) so be careful to not overtighten them when you put it back together. Put the bike in gear when you do so the front sprocket will sit still while you tighten the bolts (you'll have to rotate the sprocket while shifting it into gear so the gears in the transmission will line up to engage)
    Tom

Budget drag bike project

I'll give it a go

edit- and really helpful tips, thanks
    Last edited by thats_incentive; 06-26-2019 at 06:57 PM.
    1971 CB350k3

No more play than mine, sprocket looks decent to me?

Hmmm ok thanks Kellz.

May just replace it with the chain anyway cause I've read elsewhere it's advisable. When I do I'll compare with the new and let you know.

Or Kellz is your sprocket new or original?
    Last edited by thats_incentive; 06-27-2019 at 06:31 PM.
    1971 CB350k3

I noticed another weird thing today. So the shop didn't have the chain so I slapped this one back on.

When I got home from work tonight I was going over the bike for funny business and I noticed the chain was way loose despite my having tensioned it carefully.

I had to move the bike so I rolled it a little, then felt the chain again. Tight!

So basically if I have the bike on the center stand and rotate the back wheel while feeling the chain for tension, it goes slack at one specific point in the rotation.

This is consistent with the click I hear when rolling the bike. It's quiet.........click...quiet...........click...quie t...... hopefully you get the picture.

Thoughts? Is this the 'binding' I've heard about? Still planning on new sprocket with the chain so hopefully that clears things up but want to run this by you all anyway.
    1971 CB350k3

Id lube it up real good and ride it. Keep checking it to see if it works itself out.

Chains often get more wear in some sections than others... I just replaced the chain on my 450 for that very reason - it wasn't worn badly overall, but had a tight and loose section that continued to get worse. Nothing too unusual about it
    thats_incentive likes this.
    Tom

Budget drag bike project

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links