Front drum brake shoe replacement difficulties

Front drum brake shoe replacement difficulties

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the final stages of sorting out my 1972 CL350, and thought I'd see if I could improve my brake performance by swapping the old drum brake shoes for new ones. I had already replaced an aged front brake cable successfully and adjusted front and rear according to the specifications in my Clymer Manual, but the stopping power, particularly on the front, still seemed poor compared to other Hondas I've ridden with the same brake components. I ordered a set of shoes for the front and rear from Common Motor Collective and took a stab at it this weekend. The rear went very well, and the stopping power has clearly improved dramatically. The shoes were easy to install, fit very well, and I did a full rebuild following the directions of this video.

Following the same procedure, adapted slightly because of the two pivot points rather than the single on the rear drum, I cleaned and rebuilt the front as well. Upon putting it all back together, I found that front wheel seemed to be binding on the new shoes in a number of places without applying any pressure to the lever on the drum, which did not happen with the old shoes. I also determined that my cable is no longer long enough to reach the hand lever effectively. The arm on the brake assembly had approximately 1/2 inch of free play (with pressure applied by hand directly to that lever) before the shoes made contact with the drum with the old shoes installed, which was enough that I could attach the brake cable and adjust it properly. The new shoes allow the arm on the drum somewhere between 1/8th and 1/16th of an inch of free play before engaging, and I can no longer attach my brake cable, in addition to the binding at certain spots on the wheel. I've attached two pictures of how I put everything back together. Please note that I realize I did not install the exterior return spring on the brake assembly that attaches to the primary lever, and ignore the "1" and "2" written on the brake shoes - those were my own marks while I while tried swapping the shoes from side to side to see if that affected the issues. The new shoes are EBC Brand and the cable is 52 inches long from one end of the pull knob to the other, purchased from Charlie's Place.

Since I'm sure many of you are more knowledgeable and experienced than I am at this, could you please let me know if you see anything that looks out of sorts? Any information or suggestions on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated. I've reached out to Common Motor Collective Tech support as well and am awaiting a response, but I figured getting multiple perspectives couldn't hurt. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Front drum brake shoe replacement difficulties-img_6928.jpg Front drum brake shoe replacement difficulties-img_6929.jpg

A quick phone call should solve this for you.......
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

Sponsored Links