Ant Idea What Happened Here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ant Idea What Happened Here

Ant Idea What Happened Here

My recently restored Honda cb350 which has been rebuilt really poorly by a UK restorer. I won't go into details just yet as I'm working my way through the stickies in here to see if I can the bike running.
    I just happened to look down at the bike in the garage and noticed the brake rod to the rear drum brake had twisted around the rear axle. Any idea how this might have happened. I was so stressed on my first ride out with the bike staling, no power, white smoke through breather that I did not notice this brake issue. It wasn't a great restoration job but He didn't leave the bike like that with me. Please see pics. Ant Idea What Happened Here-img_7262.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7262.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	730.7 KB 
ID:	288740Ant Idea What Happened Here-img_7263.jpgAnt Idea What Happened Here-img_7264.jpg

You would know immediately if this happened to you while riding... when the torque arm for the rear brake backing plate comes loose, whether the bolt in it fell out of the forward end at the swingarm or the rear end of the arm at the brake backing plate, the next time the rear brake is applied it spins the backing plate and winds all the parts up and around the axle - usually resulting in locked rear brakes and sliding to a stop. You may not have noticed it, but it almost had to be that way when you got it back from him... or someone else rode the bike and you didn't know
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Thanks for the quick reply and explanation. Can these be straightened out or new parts ordered?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

The arm looks pretty bad, probably wouldn't come out very well if straightened. The rod might be usable, depends on how well you can get it straightened out. eBay would be a source for good used parts.

Based on just this experience, I'd suspect anything the shop or individual touched...
    Tom

In the last picture it appears that the brake anchor arm is still in place. Maybe it was reinstalled after the incident but nothing else fixed. Better go thru the whole machine with a fine tooth comb, in case he left you some other "surprises".
    '65 YG1
    '65 CB160
    '66 CL160
    '67 CL77
    '68 TR6
    '69 T100R
    '69 T120R
    '72 Commando 750
    '78 XS650E
    '79 Gl1000
    '81 440 LTD
    My company car is a Kenworth

This happened to me in the spring. If the nut that holds the brake strap to the hub comes off, the hub can rotate and this happens. Luckily I was able to get the replacement parts for about $60 total.
    LashLarue likes this.
    1975 CB400 F0 Stock
    1974 CB550 K0 Chopper
    1970 CL350 K2 Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mike in idaho View Post
    In the last picture it appears that the brake anchor arm is still in place. Maybe it was reinstalled after the incident but nothing else fixed. Better go thru the whole machine with a fine tooth comb, in case he left you some other "surprises".
    Yeah, I think it was put back together after the fact and hoped it wouldn't be noticed... likely to be more "surprises" if the shop/guy is that sketchy
    Tom

Look at the other end of the brake torque arm, the Swingarm end, is the bolt, washer, nut and split pin present? If the bolt is missing from either end of the torque arm, and the rear brake is applied, when the bike is moving, you'll get the result you've got. I was fortunate in that an MOT Tester found the bolt was there, but my nut, washer and split pin was missing before this happened to me! You will need a new brake rod, and spring; probably the trunnion and nut; and a new lever arm, check the splines haven't stripped on the actuating cam too. And finally fit a new split pin on your axle nut.....it's missing in the photos...it would seem worthwhile spending £30 getting an MOT inspector to look at your bike to see if there are any other surprises waiting for you!
    2002 GSXR1000
    2005 R6
    2003 R6
    2003 Hyosung Comet 125
    1983 CB250RS
    1979 T140E Bonneville
    1976 CB360
    1975 T160 Trident
    1974 CL450
    1972 CB500/Four K1
    1972 CB350/Four K1
    1972 A100 Suzuki
    1957 T100

it would seem worthwhile spending £30 getting an MOT inspector to look at your bike to see if there are any other surprises waiting for you!
    Seconded whole heartedly !

The MOT exemption for historic vehicles that are actually being used is madness, IMHO.

Different matter if it is just a museum piece.
    1970 Honda CB175K4
    1972 Honda CL175K7
    1999 Honda CB600 Hornet
    1970 - 1972 Random heap of CB/CL/SL 175 parts, slowly being reassembled ..

Better the rear than the front. I had a front one come loose years ago, and when I applied the brake, the entire brake assembly rotated and locked up, flipping the bike at about 40 mph and sending me sliding down the road. Not fun... That said, I'd check the front brake stay also.
    1969 Honda CL350
    1983 H-D XLX-61 Sportster

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links