Ant Idea What Happened Here - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ant Idea What Happened Here

Thanks for all the replies guys. Im not going to give up on this bike but Its really testing me. Yet to have ride on it in 4 Years. The restoration guy had it for 3 Years. I did a compression test tonight with 125 PSI on both pistons on a stone cold engine with no carbs on. What do you reckon?
    I had no power whatsoever when I tried to ride during this ride where the drum brake arm came apart. I could have walked faster and the bike kept stalling.

Ive got a box full of goodies from Common motor collective to try and revive this bike. Carb service kit, electronic points, new pet cock, oil lines and clamps, fuel line filters, carb floats, ....
    Last edited by stuzzy77; 08-21-2019 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stuzzy77 View Post
    Ive got a box full of goodies from Common motor collective to try and revive this bike. Carb service kit, electronic points, new pet cock, oil lines and clamps, oil filters, carb floats, ....
    Oh jeez... you didn't buy that Shockwave thing - did you? Since you're getting stiffed for international shipping anyway, can we recommend price-checking other places like 4into1.com for some of this kind of stuff? You'll save money... and don't use the new brass in the carb kits, clean and re-use your old brass
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    Oh jeez... you didn't buy that Shockwave thing - did you? Since you're getting stiffed for international shipping anyway, can we recommend price-checking other places like 4into1.com for some of this kind of stuff? You'll save money... and don't use the new brass in the carb kits, clean and re-use your old brass
    It does actually have a bowyer Branston kit already installed so the shockwave might not get fitted. Thanks for the advice with the brass parts.

Quote Originally Posted by stuzzy77 View Post
    It does actually have a bowyer Branston kit already installed so the shockwave might not get fitted. Thanks for the advice with the brass parts.
    You have been paying attention to the Shockwave test thread here - right? One of the beta testers is a member and his failed during a group ride recently...
    Tom

You probably don't like doing your own work but it might be wise to:

Tighten the shock upper and lower bolts.

Remove each tire and replace it if it is over 4 or 5 years old. Check the spokes. When you replace the tire remember which tools you used and start making a kit for the bike. Check online parts fische if you have questions. I like to run Seafoam through the gas for any bike that has been sitting.

Beyond that change the oil after about 300 miles or 500Km. Then follow the owners manual maintenance schedule. Keep the battery on a tender and clean. Enjoy.
    Mike

CT90 (2)
    SL350 - k1

Where are you?

David Silver and CMSNL seem to have plenty of parts and the shipping will be less painful.

I'd name and shame the "restorer" too. The MOT is a racket to sell non-strident horns and replace the brake light lamps that mysteriously blow as they wheel it in for test, but anyone selling service work and missing nuts on the brake linkage wants throwing out of the industry.

+1 on the tyre advice. Mine came with one date stamped 1999. The tread is fine which pleased the seller, but you can see how aged the rubber is. If the tube is as bad it's one pot hole away from a blow out.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyM; 08-22-2019 at 12:41 AM.

The MOT is a racket to sell non-strident horns and replace the brake light lamps that mysteriously blow as they wheel it in for test,
    That might have been true 20 years ago. Reputable MOT testers want to keep their licences, and are not there to drum up trade for the service departments. I'm happy with the standard of the work I do on my own bikes, and I'd be mortified if one of mine failed on a major safety related issue*, but I value having a second pair of unbiased eyes looking over my handiwork. No different that putting a race bike through scrutineering.

In the UK, bikes that are MOT exempt are getting the café racer, brat bike, whatever treatment, at the hands of bodgers whose only interest is to sell the things at a profit to clueless newbies who don't have the skills to maintain their new purchases. I'd bet that a compulsory MOT test on these 'modified' bikes would soon sort out a lot of faulty workmanship.

* That said, my Hornet just failed on a missing rear number plate light. Said light has been missing for years, ever since I fitted an aftermarket LED rear light, and has passed the MOT each time until now. Same shop, different tester.
    1970 Honda CB175K4
    1972 Honda CL175K7
    1999 Honda CB600 Hornet
    1970 - 1972 Random heap of CB/CL/SL 175 parts, slowly being reassembled ..

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Pitman View Post
    * That said, my Hornet just failed on a missing rear number plate light. Said light has been missing for years, ever since I fitted an aftermarket LED rear light, and has passed the MOT each time until now. Same shop, different tester.
    The human element!
    AndyM likes this.
    Tom

[QUOTE=AndyM;1085744]Where are you?

David Silver and CMSNL seem to have plenty of parts and the shipping will be less painful.

I'd name and shame the "restorer" too. The MOT is a racket to sell non-strident horns and replace the brake light lamps that mysteriously blow as they wheel it in for test, but anyone selling service work and missing nuts on the brake linkage wants throwing out of the industry.

Im Forest of Dean, Glos, UK.
    I will happily shame him. He had the bike for 3 Years and dumped it on me. Carb parts missing, white smoke and fuel bellowing out of breather tube, oil leak on gear shifter and top end, back brake, fuel lines worn and degrading, drum came apart, bike won't go above walking pace and stalls.

Apart from that its had a full rebuild, everything new apparently. This is the company https://www.aspirerestorations.co.uk
    AndyM likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links