Bearing woes

Thread: Bearing woes

Bearing woes

No. There is nothing related to replacing bearings I need help with, just getting the right bearings. It's times like these I really miss the days when just about any manufacturing and maintenance need could be sourced locally. Bought from someone you could speak to the same day you need it.

In three weeks I've waited over a week only to receive the wrong parts. I've waited just under another week only to have my (replacement) parts delivered to somewhere else 400 miles away. I've re-ordered again and the day after they were shipped, received a mystery package (from the company who mis-shipped the 2nd batch) containing the bearings I need... while assumedly I still have the 3rd ordered set somewhere enroute. I am so confused I'm not sure who I owe and who owes me anymore.

To top it off, now that I finally HAVE a set of bearings, the five or so aspects of the project on hold until I can square up the rear wheel still have to wait as I promised my wife I'd take care of some honeydews today.
    "They're not like cars with a body that rusts out in a few years. Keep them tuned and overhauled and they'll last as long as you do. Probably longer." - Robert Pirsig

Next time try a local bearing shop.

Quote Originally Posted by oupa View Post
    It's times like these I really miss the days when just about any manufacturing and maintenance need could be sourced locally.
    Yeah, I'd love to! If there still was one.

For all the convenience the internet has wrought. It is slowly strangling local businesses everywhere. Specialty markets are hardest hit. Low population centers are a close second. Stocking, brick & mortar stores are taking a quiet beating. In the meantime, my local UPS man told me they just shortened his route (adding a new one that used to include part of his) and last Friday was STILL as busy as he usually is at Christmas time. My daughter works at FedEx and told me last week they are now handling trailer loads of TREES! Six-foot tall live trees! I guess your local nursery is next to take the hit.

On the other hand, I recently bought a granite monument (like a tombstone!) for a community project that was delivered by FedEx. I tried ALL the local vendors for 30 miles around and none even approached the price of buying direct (probably the same quarry they buy theirs) and that included shipping from Utah to MD!

Yeah, I'd love to run in to "Bearings & Transmissions" and be home with exactly what I need in an hour, but that train has left the station.
    "They're not like cars with a body that rusts out in a few years. Keep them tuned and overhauled and they'll last as long as you do. Probably longer." - Robert Pirsig

Sponsored Links