73 CB350 Front Brake Swap
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alan F.

Thread: 73 CB350 Front Brake Swap

73 CB350 Front Brake Swap

Is there a modern caliper that can be swapped in for the old asbestos front brakes? The old calipers are stuck and worn all the way down.

1. Please introduce yourself and your bike in the new members section.

2. Calipers don't wear down, brake pads do, new brake pads are made for your bike with modern materials.
    ancientdad likes this.
    CB250 Nighthawk projects 92,93,92.
    81 CM400C Sold
    93 CB750 Nighthawk Sold
    73 CB750K3 Long term project stuck in the 'parts collecting stage.'
    Fork Swap info: http://sites.google.com/site/alansdocuments/

I noticed some vintage racers use an ap racing caliper, on a homebuilt bracket. But the one thing I am trying to work out is what disc to use? they look like they use the cb350G/360 inner (black) part of the rotor, but bolt an outer from a newer bike on. not much information out there on the web about disc swaps though :\
    I was thinking a VF750 caliper might fit an (twin piston) be sufficient stopping power for the 350. looks like its a lockheed item from a ducati or triumph model : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Racing-Allo...frcectupt=true
    Last edited by shoom; 03-14-2019 at 02:22 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by shoom View Post
    I noticed some vintage racers use an ap racing caliper, on a homebuilt bracket. But the one thing I am trying to work out is what disc to use? they look like they use the cb350G/360 inner (black) part of the rotor, but bolt an outer from a newer bike on. not much information out there on the web about disc swaps though :\
    I was thinking a VF750 caliper might fit an (twin piston) be sufficient stopping power for the 350. looks like its a lockheed item from a ducati or triumph model : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Racing-Allo...frcectupt=true
    I'd be very interested in seeing what options there are for a front brake upgrade. Coming up with a bracket to fit a different caliper wouldn't be too difficult. Like you said the problem would be trying to find a rotor to fit & that would have to be necessary because 250mm isn't cutting it. Need at least 300mm to get any kind of leverage for a single disc. Then there's the caliper. I don't think the caliper you show would work...think it would have to be one with piston/pistons on one side only, doesn't look like there would be enough clearance between the back side of the disc & the spokes. The mid-late 90's VFR750 calipers you suggest might though.

1974 CB360 Fallin' Ditch Hell Ride.

Found this. Rivet spacing on the disc is about 75mm. I have an old vmax rear brake rotor hanging in the garage that has the same spacing. Earlier years of those bikes had the 282mm rotors for all 3 brakes. Later models went to 298mm but maintained the same bolt spacing so that's another option here. And if you really want to go crazy, I put 320's on that bike using another set of donor bike rotors but that would just be overkill with this bike The bigger rotor also puts the caliper mounting further out towards the rim which opens up more space between the back of the caliper & the spokes. A regular caliper with pistons on both sides might fit.
    Last edited by sdaniels; 04-09-2019 at 06:49 AM.

Wanstett, started work on this a few days ago. I picked up a used vmax front rotor & a Honda Fury front caliper. The edge of the 298mm rotor just clears the lower torque arm mount on the fork. Caliper very easily clears the spokes. Might could get a regular caliper with opposing pistons to fit but don't think it's a necessity. This setup should bring braking up to modern levels. 6061 aluminum plate is on the way. Once brake line & fittings arrive I can get to work on the caliper mount. Between the used rotor & caliper, brake line/fittings, plate aluminum & bolts I spent about $140. I was already running an 11mm master cylinder so that was the only thing I didn't have to replace. The Fury caliper has more surface area than the stock caliper so you could use the stock 14mm master & it would get you a better ratio than the stock setup.

My build...https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/52...ake-setup.html
    Last edited by sdaniels; 05-03-2019 at 06:37 PM.
    75 CB360T

Sponsored Links