The phillips on the bottom of my CB350

The phillips on the bottom of my CB350

I'm an idiot. Definitely not the first pair of forks I've built, but I was showing a buddy how to rebuild a set of forks. He's planning on doing his soon and wanted to watch me rebuild mine first.
    Long story short, I was distracted and forgot to put the fork oil in. Yesterday, I figure I'll be seeky and drain the oil, flip the bike upside down and fill the forks from the bottom. Feeling quite clever, I have at it. I grabbed my impact driver and got the first screw loose (I must have had a screw loose already, to even start this without reading up on it first) without much effort. The second one had to come loose with a reverse thread bit. Once I got the second one loose, I went to remove the first one. It just spun, so I grabbed it with a needle nose and pulled up while spinning it. (this, I believe, is the definition of "Just enough knowledge to be dangerous") Once I got.the first screw out, I heard a bolt or washer or something drop into the fork tube...
    So now I have a one fork with something rattling around inside and another with a screw that is so mangled , it'll have to be replaced.
    I know I messed up but I was hoping someone might tell me how bad and how to fix it. I looked at the parts fiche and that Phillips head screw isn't listed.
    1 1964 CP77
    1 1972 Yamaha R5c
    2 1969 CB350's (Sold)
    1 1967 CL77 (Stolen)
    1 1978 KZ400B (Sold)
    1 1978 KZ650 (Sold)
    1 1976 CB400F (Sold)
    1 1973 CB750K3 (Sold)

Re: The phillips on the bottom of my CB350

It's NOT horrible...... But you DO have to completely disassemble the tubes and their piston-valving from the slider to re-install the damping rods (the part that "fell") .... You might as well/SHOULD replace the seals at this time...(Use Honda seals, ebay ones won't be the correct fit)... The damping rods do NOT have to be removed (and usually aren't) to disassemble this type of fork.......You remove the circlip and "bang" the forks apart by rapid and repeated compression/extension...... You are NOT alone.....Type "broomhandle" in the search here.....And read the manual directions, and look at/follow the fische for a pictorial......I'll be back online Sunday night if you have any questions..... Steve
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

Re: The phillips on the bottom of my CB350

Steve, once again. You've jumped in to help out. Thanks. I won't be able to get to the bike till Tuesday. I haven't seen my mom in a year and she's flying in from California tonight.
    One quick question tho. I looked at the parts fiche and didn't see it. I used the online fiche at mrcycles.com
    1 1964 CP77
    1 1972 Yamaha R5c
    2 1969 CB350's (Sold)
    1 1967 CL77 (Stolen)
    1 1978 KZ400B (Sold)
    1 1978 KZ650 (Sold)
    1 1976 CB400F (Sold)
    1 1973 CB750K3 (Sold)

Sponsored Links