Need Help -- Question about a 1973 CB350 Front Forks
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Saturdays Wrench

Thread: Need Help -- Question about a 1973 CB350 Front Forks

Question Need Help -- Question about a 1973 CB350 Front Forks

Hi all and thanks for having a read.

I am having a bit of trouble dismantling the front forks on my CB350G. It's a 73 so they are "Rod Type" forks that look like this:

Need Help -- Question about a 1973 CB350 Front Forks-frontfork.jpg

I'm having a hard time removing the Damper from the lock nut and front fork bolt. I want to remove the damper assembly from the fork pipe but cannot seem to figure out how the whole assembly comes apart. I have loosened and removed the bottom socket bolt and proceeded to unscrew the top fork bolt but the whole inner assembly is together. The inner fork spring is compressing up against the lock nut and even if I hold the lock nut and spin the damper, nothing unscrews! It's perplexing the hell out of me. I cannot remove the assembly from the pipe because the bottom of the damper is too wide as is the top fork bolt. When I secure the bottom of the damper and try to unscrew the top bolt and lock nut, it just spins and spins. Same thing if I secure the top bolt and lock nut and unscrew the bottom section of the damper, it just spins and spins. I tried to secure the narrow end of the damper through the spring but it's impossible. I cannot get a good grip on it with the spring in the way. I had this idea that I would put the damper assembly and fork pipe BACK into the bottom case and put tighten the bottom socket bolt back on and try to loosen the top again. Do you think this would work better?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

ALSO

I'm pretty sure I have the specs for replacement of the spring, but would love it if someone could confirm:
    "Replace is less than 7.72in or 196mm"

Can anyone recommend a solid replacement spring for this bike?

Thank you in advance for your time and advice
    Wrench it up!

- Tony
    1973 CB350G - Project Bike
    1982 Yamaha Virago XV750

Hi, have You tried to take out the whole inner assembly with damper and fork tube after unscrewing 18-socket bolt - like You would like to change the simmering ? Just turn it upside down and punch it out pulling the fork tube down. This should all then get out and give You the possibility to unscrew the lock nut.

regards
    PAwel
    ​Best Wishes
    Pawel
    NORDA-BIKES.COM

Name:  fork solution picture.JPG
Views: 742
Size:  33.6 KBTony,
    Well, I just had the same problem with the ROD type forks. Every diagram I looked at showed two bolts on the top? But when I disassembled it looked look one! After 4 hours of trying to remove what I thought was one nut, I realized it was 2. Hope the picture helps.
    Kindly,
    Jacob

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pawelzak View Post
    Hi, have You tried to take out the whole inner assembly with damper and fork tube after unscrewing 18-socket bolt - like You would like to change the simmering ? Just turn it upside down and punch it out pulling the fork tube down. This should all then get out and give You the possibility to unscrew the lock nut.

regards
    PAwel
    Quote Originally Posted by jzimmerman8 View Post
    Name:  fork solution picture.JPG
Views: 742
Size:  33.6 KBTony,
    Well, I just had the same problem with the ROD type forks. Every diagram I looked at showed two bolts on the top? But when I disassembled it looked look one! After 4 hours of trying to remove what I thought was one nut, I realized it was 2. Hope the picture helps.
    Kindly,
    Jacob

Hi guys and thanks for replying! Good input from both of you. I am going to tackle this problem on Saturday as I have been really occupied with getting my aluminum parts to a mirror finish. I will make a little video of what I discover about getting them apart. Thanks again for your advice.
    Wrench it up!

- Tony
    1982 Yamaha Virago XV750

I found the solution to this as explained in this video (fast forward to 29:52):

ApexSpeed likes this.
    Wrench it up!

- Tony
    1982 Yamaha Virago XV750

Sponsored Links