1971 Honda CL350 potential frame damage

1971 Honda CL350 potential frame damage

Hi everyone,

Just recently bought a CL350 off craigslist. *I do know that the bike has been dropped, but I do not know the severity.*

Owner had a clean title. Upon getting the bike home and starting work on it, I noticed that the center stand nearly hits the chain when it is UP, and that the rear wheel does not come off the ground fully when it is DOWN. I know from looking at pictures of frames that they all seem to have a little twist in them, so I'm having a tough time determining if my frame is bent, or possibly just my center stand. The bike also leans a little to the left on the center stand.

I have seen that the center stand hitting the chain on the CL350 is a somewhat common problem, but I am curious as to why the rear wheel is not lifting all the way up. Knowing that the bike has been wrecked, I'm just worried.

Hoping you all can shed some light on this.

I took some pictures, but please let me know what else I can take pictures of to help determine the cause.

Thank you!

Edit: The pictures appear straight when I view them on the computer, but not when I upload them to this site. Didn't see any option to change orientation when uploading.

Edit #2 added more information.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1971 Honda CL350 potential frame damage-0819191532.jpg   1971 Honda CL350 potential frame damage-0819191534.jpg   1971 Honda CL350 potential frame damage-0819191535.jpg   1971 Honda CL350 potential frame damage-0819191535a.jpg   1971 Honda CL350 potential frame damage-0819191535b.jpg  

1971 Honda CL350 potential frame damage-0819191535c.jpg   1971 Honda CL350 potential frame damage-0819191536.jpg   1971 Honda CL350 potential frame damage-0819191536c.jpg  
    Last edited by CAKELIE; 08-19-2019 at 02:04 PM.

Welcome to the forum.

I don't think that you have a frame issue. You have the correct center stand and if you adjust the bolt you see in the middle of the top part then you can lower the position when the stand is up.

Check the rear tire size, stock is a 3.50 x 18 tire, if it is a larger width then it will have a taller sidewall and give you the issue you describe. The other possibility is someone installed longer than stock rear shocks.

I did have one bike that had been transported with the stand down while being strapped on a trailer on several trips. The frame was pounded in and I had to weld patches in plus straighten out the pivot area.

^^^all great points above by Boomer - and if you look at the seventh picture above and zoom in (an absolute positive with your pics, despite being sideways, more on that in a second), you'll see one motor mount lug on the lower case is cracked.

As for picture orientation, this link offers some insight and info

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/25...ml#post1008568
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Got it. Thank you for the responses.

Didn't notice that crack in the case... Thanks for pointing that out.

Sponsored Links