Exhaust clamp and baffle ideas?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Exhaust clamp and baffle ideas?

Exhaust clamp and baffle ideas?

Hey guys! I’m really stumped over securing my exhaust. The plan is to extend these header pipes 5 inches or so straight back and secure them to the frame bar somehow.

Does anyone have any good ideas for how to best accomplish this? Or, since I’m not putting on mufflers of any kind, do I even need to secure them?

Here are some shots that show what I’m working with. If different angles would help, just ask!

Lastly, who knows how to make a custom baffle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1973 CL350 - Project Log

Mike, if you do not secure the pipes to the frame somewhere, the flanges on the header section that goes into the head and contacts the exhaust gasket might crack where the flanges are clamped with the collars due to the weight and vibration movement when you're riding. You have to at least find a bracket (original is best for these) that clamps around both and bolts to the frame somewhere on that side. As for baffles, you can usually find a small baffle insert to go inside the pipe and be secured with a single 6mm or 1/4" bolt through a hole you can drill in the backside of the pipe (side near the frame). I found a set for the drag pipes on my 450
    Last edited by ancientdad; 06-28-2019 at 11:45 AM.
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

A lot of folks use Volkswagen muffler tips, They have glasspacked louvered core, for clamps use something like these : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...ss!83843!US!-1
    Bill H likes this.
    '65 YG1
    '65 CB160
    '66 CL160
    '67 CL77
    '68 TR6
    '69 T100R
    '69 T120R
    '72 Commando 750
    '78 XS650E
    '79 Gl1000
    '81 440 LTD
    My company car is a Kenworth

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

I doubt it would muffle much but it would some....

With these....?

Those are the ones I bought for the 450 - but they'll be too large diameter for his pipes. I cut them down in diameter by cutting a slot in the side of them and squeezing them down to fit 1.375" ID pipes (my first set)
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    Those are the ones I bought for the 450 - but they'll be too large diameter for his pipes. I cut them down in diameter by cutting a slot in the side of them and squeezing them down to fit 1.375" ID pipes (my first set)
    With some searching I'm pretty sure ones that fit 1" pipe or whatever may be findable, not sure how easily though.

IDK there is 1.5" and 1.75" sizes. I can't tell from the pic what his pipe is. Still no matter what he could do what you did or maybe fine one that fits his pipe, or extend and enlarge.

Seems reasonable. I could do that. Those baffles are certainly cheap enough to give it a whirl. I know your bike sounds like an absolute beast, Tom!
    1973 CL350 - Project Log

Quote Originally Posted by mike in idaho View Post
    A lot of folks use Volkswagen muffler tips, They have glasspacked louvered core, for clamps use something like these : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...ss!83843!US!-1
    Hey Mike, thanks for the links. I've been seeing stuff like that but after you clamp those around the headers, how do they secure to the frame bar?

Sorry if this is an obvious answer.
    1973 CL350 - Project Log

Could I screw something like this mounting tab into the frame tube, tap a hole into the horizontal plane of the tab, and screw this exhaust clamp through it?

I'm not sure how this strategy would account for both pipes though.
    1973 CL350 - Project Log

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links