Bent frame and cross brace?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bent frame and cross brace?

Bent frame and cross brace?

So I just picked up a pretty clean '68/'69 CL350. Now that I'm digging into it I've started to notice a few issues that I naively didn't notice before.

It looks like the frame is bent a bit by the motor on the left hand side of the bike (right near the kickstand - see first picture). What is the best way to get this straightened out, or do I just leave it as-is?

Also, something looks a bit off on the foot peg mount/frame cross brace. Not sure if this is because of the slight bend in the frame or if this piece is bent too, but it touches the motor on the right hand side of the bike (left side of second picture). I'm assuming this isn't supposed to touch here. Again, any recommendations on how to straighten this out?

Bent frame and cross brace?-img_4959.jpg

Bent frame and cross brace?-img_4960.jpg

Thanks,
    Steve

Something looks to be going on there... and in the second picture, it looks like your lower case motor mount lug on the bike's right side (left in the picture) has been cracked and welded too. Centerstand looks to be leaning backward a bit much as well... does the rear wheel touch the ground while on the centerstand?
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Yes, you have a bent frame. Red at Cycle One Manufacturing is one person that I know can repair it.
    TOOLS

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    Something looks to be going on there... and in the second picture, it looks like your lower case motor mount lug on the bike's right side (left in the picture) has been cracked and welded too. Centerstand looks to be leaning backward a bit much as well... does the rear wheel touch the ground while on the centerstand?
    Yeah I noticed the cracked mount when buying, but didn't think it was a huge deal at the time. Don't know how I missed the bent frame. With the center-stand up, the rear wheel is off the ground.

Bent frame and cross brace?-img_4961.jpg

Bent frame and cross brace?-img_4962.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLS1 View Post
    Yes, you have a bent frame. Red at Cycle One Manufacturing is one person that I know can repair it.
    TOOLS
    Thanks for the heads up. It would be nice to find someone more local, so I wouldn't have to take everything apart and ship the frame. Is this bad enough that it definitely needs to be fixed before riding?
    Last edited by scuba6388; 06-12-2019 at 08:50 AM.

If both wheels are still in the same plane and it tracks straight when you ride it, I would be inclined to leave it as is, at least until this years riding season is over. Straighten the frame and that welded-up front motor mount lug probably won't line up and you will have to deal with that also. Used frames on ebay start about $135, shipped. No titles(of course), that opens up a different can of worms.
    Last edited by mike in idaho; 06-12-2019 at 08:58 AM.
    '65 YG1
    '65 CB160
    '66 CL160
    '67 CL77
    '68 TR6
    '69 T100R
    '69 T120R
    '72 Commando 750
    '78 XS650E
    '79 Gl1000
    '81 440 LTD
    My company car is a Kenworth

Quote Originally Posted by mike in idaho View Post
    If both wheels are still in the same plane and it tracks straight when you ride it, I would be inclined to leave it as is, at least until this years riding season is over. Straighten the frame and that welded-up front motor mount lug probably won't line up and you will have to deal with that also. Used frames on ebay start about $135, shipped. No titles(of course), that opens up a different can of worms.
    This is good to hear. I was really worried once I noticed the bend. Any ideas on how the mount would have gotten broke? Someone laying it down hard enough to bend the frame and break the mount?
    Last edited by scuba6388; 06-12-2019 at 10:19 AM.

A trick my auto body repair father taught me is to have someone ride the bike toward you at a moderate speed (fast enough to keep a straight line, slow enough to give you a decent chance to take a look) while you squat down and "sight" the front tire against the rear tire, and vice versa while going away from you, to see if the bike "dog-tracks" or if one of the wheels isn't perfectly vertical (as in a possible swingarm tweak with the rear, possible frame neck tweak in the front). Provided the chain is running true (rear wheel straight in the driveline), if something is off enough to matter you can usually see the misalignment. If the lower tube being bent has had any effect on anything structural overall you might see it this way, but I'm not sure your situation is enough for that to be the case. Couldn't hurt to look
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Awesome! Once I get her running again I'll give this a try. Thank you.

Any thoughts on the brace rubbing? Is that going to damage the motor case?
    Steve

Currently restoring a 1968 CL350 Scrambler

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links