More Swingarm questions - CB350 1972
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By e.roc
  • 1 Post By Yendor

Thread: More Swingarm questions - CB350 1972

More Swingarm questions - CB350 1972

So, I have my new/used swingarm cleaned and ready for install... but first a couple of questions:
    1) Do the grease holes in the steel sleeves need to line up with the grease holes in the axle? Seems like they need to but I can't find that address anywhere.
    1a) if the holes need to be aligned... what is the trick? I was thinking of marking a line on the end of the sleeve and axle but does that make sense?

2) my bushings are tight in the swingarm but the sleeves will slide in and out of the bushings without much pressure. Is that too loose?

3) the axle also slides into the sleeves easily but neither issue 2 nor 3 see to have a lot of play/wiggle.

If I mount up the assembly, is there a movement allowance or measurement that indicates that there is too much wear? I have located new bushings and new sleeves if necessary but new axles seem to be MIA.

Thanks for any advice. Sure do appreciate all of the help and resources on this site. BTW, I have the old grease fittings removed and new zerk fittings installed.
    chaindrivecharlie likes this.
    1972 CB350 - Purple is as Purple does.

Senior Member chaindrivecharlie's Avatar
    Do you have a FSM for your bike?

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
    Charlie

1972 CL 175 K6
    1972 CL 350 K4
    1981 CM 400 C

Joshua 24:15

Senior Member chaindrivecharlie's Avatar
    Ok, as far as i can find, no hole allignment. Use a good bearing grease on the sleeve and the pivot bolt when putting it together. Same grease you will pump into fittings is best. The bolt and the sleeve should slide in easily, then tighten, and pump grease into it.

Last edited by chaindrivecharlie; 05-29-2019 at 08:30 PM.
    Charlie

1972 CL 175 K6
    1972 CL 350 K4
    1981 CM 400 C

Joshua 24:15

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by chaindrivecharlie View Post
    Ok, as far as i can find, no hole allignment. Use a good bearing grease on the sleeve and the pivot bolt when putting it together. Same grease you will pump into fittings is best. The bolt and the sleeve should slide in easily, then tighten, and pump grease into it.

I need to find a copy of the FSM. Thank you for the info!

The FSM can ve downloaded from the Common Motor Collective (an advertiser & Site supporter) from their MANUALS PAGE.

Make sure you clean out the inside channel of the Swing Arm Bolt for any old dried up grease.
    Also NOW is the time to replace the Metric Grease Fittings with SAE Type for the standard grease guns used in this side of the big pond.
    chaindrivecharlie likes this.
    1970 CB 350 CAFE - Current Project on the bench,
    1972 CB 350 K4 Red - Now a Happy Rider ! !
    1972 CB 350 K4 Green (My Sons) DONE - YES !,
    1st Bike 1970 SL 350 (Brought home in Parts - Trailer/Trunk/Back Seat - I miss that bike),
    2nd - Bike Kawasaki 750
    3rd - '73 XLCH 1000

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    The FSM can ve downloaded from the Common Motor Collective (an advertiser & Site supporter) from their MANUALS PAGE.

Make sure you clean out the inside channel of the Swing Arm Bolt for any old dried up grease.
    Also NOW is the time to replace the Metric Grease Fittings with SAE Type for the standard grease guns used in this side of the big pond.
    Perfect, I will get the FSM downloaded. Thx for the tip. Yes, I have pulled the old grease fittings, clean the inside of the axle bolt and tapped and installed new Zerks. I have the swing arm back on but the chain tension needs to be corrected so I am learned that process now.

Sponsored Links