HondaTwins Forums

To defy the engineers or not???

Thread: To defy the engineers or not???

Tags: None

oupa said:

To defy the engineers or not???

While I'm all about tinkering and making things, I am also always cautious of the fact that Mr. Honda had a whole lot of very smart guys working for him that I'm highly unlikely to have better ideas than.

With that little disclaimer out of the way, I'm working with (most of) a 1971 SL 350 Motor and a 1971 SL 350 frame. That's it. That's all I had when I began. The frame was completely stripped of every part... except the selenium rectifier. Where's the love?

I'm finally to the point of installing the engine. I've made several necessary mounts so far, but after screwing up the first one, I'm wondering if I even need the top mount? The engine is totally solid with the three bottom mounts and the rear mount. I'm inclined toward the top mount being at least as much to add rigidity to the frame as support to the engine. Or might there be enough side-to-side vibration to cause stress in the top end without it???

Of course while I'm thinking all this, there is that nagging little reminder about a bunch of smart engineers with a BIG R&D budget who included that top mount in the original...

Any and all advice speculation or ides are welcome. Whatda ya'll think?
    "They're not like cars with a body that rusts out in a few years. Keep them tuned and overhauled and they'll last as long as you do. Probably longer." - Robert Pirsig

66Sprint said:
    the 350's are notorious for cracking the front lower left mount.... I'd recommend installing the top mount brackets......
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

oupa said:
    THAT is exactly the sort of advice I was looking for!!!!! Thanks!
    "They're not like cars with a body that rusts out in a few years. Keep them tuned and overhauled and they'll last as long as you do. Probably longer." - Robert Pirsig

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Pops said:
    If you want a set to copy, I've got some you can borrow
    Butch
    72 SL350 Basket Case

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm