No power to left points - Solved!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: No power to left points - Solved!

No power to left points - Solved!

Hi folks, I've just bought a '69 CL350 that does not start. I've isolated the issue to no power at the left points. Wiring looks good tracing it back to the coils from the points so I don't think anything is disconnected there. It seems like the coils have been replaced at some time as they are both blue Tec brand units. The condenser also looks pretty new. I have power to the right side points. Where to go next please?
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 10-31-2019 at 09:35 AM.

Need more information.... You will ONLY show power at the points IF the points are open.... If they are and still no power, that power would normally get there through the coil primary, so check power at the Black/white coil wire connection and check continuity through the coil primary (should be ~ 5 Ohms) and at juncture to the point wire....Somewhere there is a break in a wire......OR the condenser for that coil could be shorted to ground.....

You may phone if you wish....
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 10-19-2019 at 03:53 AM.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

Thanks Sprint. The test procedure I used was to connect a test light between the power at the points and ground. Then I turned the engine over with the starter. The right side points flashed the test light as they opened and closed, as expected. However when I switched to left side and repeated there was no illumination. I'll chase wiring some more and report back.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Please post a picture of the points plate and points showing the wire connections to the tiny bolts...... I suspect that the left point is sequenced/stacked improperly resulting in a continuous ground connection......
    Also, unplug left point wire from its coil, and measure voltage from that yellow coil wire to ground.....Should approximate battery voltage.....
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."

Here are two pictures of the points. I think it looks ok? No time to play with it today so the wiring testing will come soon.
    No power to left points - Solved!-img_8975.jpg

No power to left points - Solved!-img_8976.jpg
    "There's never time to do it right, but always time to do it over..."
    1969 CL350 VIN 101XXXX

Your rocker pins have stamped marks that look like a T. The leg of the T is supposed to face outwards. Yours are facing in.
    As for your power issue, maybe start where the points plug into (as mentioned above). If no power then check at the harness. Check you're not plugged into green.
    ancientdad likes this.

^^^as mentioned - they should look like this on both the points and tach sides

No power to left points - Solved!-350valveadj.jpg No power to left points - Solved!-350valveadj2.jpg
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time
    Budget drag bike project
    CB350K1 full patina project
    Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Thanks for the catch on the rocker pins. I'm still troubleshooting the no start which is likely no power to the left points. Will it be ok to leave the rocker pins as they are for the moment while I attempt to get the motor to run? I'll be checking all these things anyhow but wanted to concentrate on a running bike to begin.
    1969 CL350 VIN 101XXXX

NO....The secondary index on the "wrong" side of the eccentric adjustment "pins" alters the leverage angle of the rockers, and increases the pressure on the rockers and camshaft causing undue wear damage.......It also places the pressure on the valve stems off-center, likely increasing valve guide wear as well.....
    Since valve clearance adjustment MUST be made on a stone-cold engine, NOW is the appropriate time to do it.......

So the rocker pins have been rotated with a valve clearance check. Of course the clearances needed to be reset. Followed proper procedure for setting valves to turn the pins, rather than just rotating them willy nilly.

Re the points, I have continuity from the points to the condenser and from the condenser to the coil. It seems it is not a wiring issue. How to test other things like condenser and coil. If I switch wiring from one set of points to the other, the dead set work, and the live set do not. What's next?
    1969 CL350 VIN 101XXXX

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links