No power to left points - Solved! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: No power to left points - Solved!

Leave the coils connected to the points, but disconnect the condensers.......Do both sides then work?
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

Thanks for the fast reply. I’ve disconnected the condensers, so coil only now, and no change. Power to right points, no power to left. Next?
    Last edited by club_c; 10-23-2019 at 12:11 AM.
    "There's never time to do it right, but always time to do it over..."

What color wires from the harness are your coils plugged into?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Exactly!....Are BOTH coils Black with white stripe wires connected to the Black with white stripe dual connector from the main harness?

IF SO, unplug the yellow and blue points wires and verify power at the yellow and then the blue coil wires......
    (Condensers and point wires disconnected)

IF YES at both colors, then either the "bad" point wire has a break in it or is grounded, OR the point to which it is attached remains grounded even when open.......

I can't be sure from the pics, but it looks like the solder joint on the yellow wire MAY be touching the points base plate and causing this ground....Pry it up/out a smidge.......
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 10-23-2019 at 02:19 AM.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

Yes as Sprint described. Both coils plugged into the B/Wh lead.

Make sure the blade on the wire connected directly to the left points isn't touching the points mounting plate at the rear.
    1969 Honda CL350
    1983 H-D XLX-61 Sportster

I'm going to recap troubleshooting to date. The issue is no power to the left points. This is the yellow wire feeding power to that side.

- continuity of the yellow wire confirmed from points to condenser to coil: Good
    - swap blue and yellow wires from points to condenser: power now at left points but nothing at right points
    - put wires back in proper orientation and disconnect condensers from wiring harness, coils and points the only pieces in the circuit: no power at left points, power at right points
    - put condensers back into the wiring harness, test black wire with white tracer which is power to the points: power at the spot where the two coils connect to the wiring harness
    - left points are not shorting to ground because they have power when coil wiring is swapped.

So I am drawing some conclusions:

- there is power to both coils
    - there is power to both condensers
    - there is power coming out of the right coil
    - there is no power coming out of the left coil,

therefore the left coil is defective.

How am I doing? Is there another test I can do to further confirm the left coil is bad?

Have you tried just a multimeter on the coil wires and check for a break inside? Compare left and right. I’ve never checked that way but seems relevant

Put the working coil on the non working coil side

Quote Originally Posted by doctorruckus View Post
    Have you tried just a multimeter on the coil wires and check for a break inside? Compare left and right. I’ve never checked that way but seems relevant
    Not sure that can be done here. There is an induction (or some such word) between the primary field (powered by battery) and secondary field (powering the spark plug lead) but there is no direct connection. I think the secondary field is only hot when the points open, though may not have the theory entirely correct... So not sure if there is a way to measure the "output" or resistance of the coil?
    Last edited by club_c; 10-23-2019 at 05:15 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links