cb350 wiring
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Yendor
  • 1 Post By Sonreir

Thread: cb350 wiring

cb350 wiring

How much of a project is it to completely clean up the wiring from the headlight back? I look at mine now and I see nothing but wires everywhere like a pile of spaghetti. I want to simplify it (if possible) and clean it up to make it look more "open". Tips? Is this going to be a pain?

Totally can be done. I think one of the members here has a diagram for a very basic bike circuit. Honestly, there isn't too much to these bikes and the original wiring diagram is fairly straightforward. Do you have a copy of the shop manual? If not shoot me either a PM or an email and I'll send you the PDF.

I'm currently in process of rewiring a 1979 triumph spitfire and that truly is a nightmare.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    1972 CL350 - Build completed

It's a hassle and personally I would leave it unless there is something wrong

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Actually I would use a oversized Print of the wiring diagrahm printed at an office supply store.

Attached is a Graphic you can right click on and SAVE-AS then take to a print shop to have blown up.
    Mine is 18 x 24 and it makes it super easy to trace the wires.

cb350 wiring-wiring_cb350_stock_wiring.jpg
    f100owner likes this.
    1970 CB 350 CAFE - Current Project on the bench,
    1972 CB 350 K4 Red - Now a Happy Rider ! !
    1972 CB 350 K4 Green (My Sons) DONE - YES !,
    1st Bike 1970 SL 350 (Brought home in Parts - Trailer/Trunk/Back Seat - I miss that bike),
    2nd - Bike Kawasaki 750
    3rd - '73 XLCH 1000

I know when I opened the headlight on my cl, it made me cringe. My first thought was how hard would it to be to swap out to a wiring or terminal block. After a while I just decided it works. Still think a terminal block would be the way to go in the headlight, but after that the existing connectors seem fine. I have thought about buying the OEM or upgraded wiring kits from:
    http://www.sparckmoto.com/Content/im...ducts/97/1.jpg
    or just do a piecemeal upgrade using supplies from their other site - All Products - Vintage Connections
    CL350K0
    2016 Harley Ultra Limited
    1971 Ford F100 Flareside (project)
    2016 Ford Expedition
    2018 Ford F150

I think there is a wiring dia for a cb 350 chopper on the net. very easy , its been several years since I worked on a 350 but I think there is a member that did this you might look in the 350 elec section. Myself I just laid it out on a table and moved things around till I found what I wanted. Just keep a record of how you did it for reference or the next owner.

Bill

Pretty much what everyone else here already said.

The 350 harness is about as simple as you can get without starting to remove some things.

One of the changes I usually make is to remove the parking light circuit and swap the tail light over to always on. This saves a couple of wires.

Anything after that and you're looking at removing functionality (such as the electric start circuit).
    slofut likes this.

Clean connections with D4 and scotchbrite and reassemble. Money better spent upgrading the alternator. I'm still saving for it...
    1974 CL360
    1968 T120 Bonneville
    Honda mini trails and ct70's

Quote Originally Posted by f100owner View Post
    I know when I opened the headlight on my cl, it made me cringe. My first thought was how hard would it to be to swap out to a wiring or terminal block. After a while I just decided it works. Still think a terminal block would be the way to go in the headlight, but after that the existing connectors seem fine. I have thought about buying the OEM or upgraded wiring kits from:
    http://www.sparckmoto.com/Content/im...ducts/97/1.jpg
    or just do a piecemeal upgrade using supplies from their other site - All Products - Vintage Connections
    Right? I put an LED bulb in my headlight and gasped at the rat's nest of wires.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorruckus View Post
    Right? I put an LED bulb in my headlight and gasped at the rat's nest of wires.
    While the wiring is a bit messy in the headlight shell, it does work and when the connectors are all clean, goes years before ever needing to be looked at if ever. Modern bikes likely have different connection points but also undoubtedly have more wires with all the functions available (drive by wire, cruise control, ABS, fuel injection instead of carbs, additional gauges/warning lights etc, etc). Bikes were so comparatively simple back then that when you look at what is actually connected in that area, it's only a handful of functions, just done with loose wires in a small space. If you go streamlined on the bike's wiring - no turn signals or electric start, minimal functions - you can do what I did on my 450 and route all the wires, including the main harness, under the gas tank and hide all the connections there under a couple of harness covers, one over the other.
    Last edited by ancientdad; 10-21-2019 at 06:31 PM.
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time
    Budget drag bike project
    CB350K1 full patina project
    Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Sponsored Links