1973 CL350 No Spark

1973 CL350 No Spark

Hi guys,

I recently got my CL350 up and running but all of a sudden, while I was ridding, it just died. I was downshifting and the bike just cut-off completely.
    Before I rode it, I tried to use the electrical ignition and it got stuck. The electric ignition was on for like 5 minutes, while the bike was already running, before I was able to unplug the battery.
    After that incident, I unplugged the starter motor and just used the kick starter to turn it on.
    Since then I was not able to get the bike running again. I checked the battery, it was at 11.9 volts after it shut off so I charged it to 13.7 volts but still no luck.
    When I turn my key, I don't even see the neutral light anymore. I put a volt meter into the wire for the spark plugs, but I see no voltage after kick starting it. What should I check next?

You may phone while at bike......

"I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

Did you check the FUSE?

It lives in a holder just to the front of the battery.
    15 AMP - METRIC - Not just any Fuse from an Auto Parts Store. Any Honda Dealer has them in stock - Get spares.
    The diameter of the tubes is different - an SAE Fuse from a local Auto Store will not have the correct contact are in the holder ends and WILL OVERHEAT and MELT the HOLDER.
    I KNOW - Been there done that.
    1970 CB 350 CAFE - Current Project on the bench,
    1972 CB 350 K4 Red - Now a Happy Rider ! !
    1972 CB 350 K4 Green (My Sons) DONE - YES !,
    1st Bike 1970 SL 350 (Brought home in Parts - Trailer/Trunk/Back Seat - I miss that bike),
    2nd - Bike Kawasaki 750
    3rd - '73 XLCH 1000

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Thanks guys! Just checked the fuse, definitely blown. I ordered some online hopefully that solves the problem. While I wait for them to arrive, is there anything else I could check in the meantime? Also what could have caused the blown fuse so I try not to do it again?

Quote Originally Posted by sigh98 View Post
    Thanks guys! Just checked the fuse, definitely blown. I ordered some online hopefully that solves the problem. While I wait for them to arrive, is there anything else I could check in the meantime? Also what could have caused the blown fuse so I try not to do it again?
    Well, you are asking the right questions....but it could have been anything from an improper fuse to a directly shorted "hot" wire....You will have to search and inspect.....Ill be happy to guide you over the phone, but much too much to type........

Last edited by 66Sprint; 07-02-2019 at 06:27 PM.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

Sponsored Links