Old problem won't go away: Not firing / weak spark on right cylinder
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mike in idaho

Thread: Old problem won't go away: Not firing / weak spark on right cylinder

Unhappy Old problem won't go away: Not firing / weak spark on right cylinder

Hi guys

I'm afraid I still have issues with my beloved 360T. See this old thread: (https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/50...s-they-ok.html)

Recently, my old problem of the bike sometimes not firing on the right cylinder has gotten worse. It seems that the spark on the right cylinder is weaker than the other. If I start the bike, it'll only run on one cylinder. if I take off the spark plug cap and hold the wire close (5-7 mm) to the sparkplug, it runs fine ! I tried several other caps - all the same. All read 5 K Ohms when testing.

Where should I start troubleshooting? I need to finally fix this problem, that has been there on/off for 8-10 years!

My set-up:
    100% stock bike, except ignition.
    Points: About 8 years old (seem OK, especially with the Hondaman ignition)
    Coils: Replaced with (used) original Honda ones 2 years ago
    Ignition: Hondaman transistorized ignition.

I would get new Honda points, but what coils should I buy?

Regards, Frank

That's the classic example of a gas-fouled plug. Put a fresh spark plug in that hole.
    ancientdad likes this.
    '65 YG1
    '65 CB160
    '66 CL160
    '67 CL77
    '68 TR6
    '69 T100R
    '69 T120R
    '72 Commando 750
    '78 XS650E
    '79 Gl1000
    '81 440 LTD
    My company car is a Kenworth

Had the same issue with my 68 Triumph 650.. was always running rich, ate plugs like it was going out of style. Origionally thought it was an electrical issue. Got my carb issues corrected, running same plugs for some time.
    "Yes, my hands and nails have grease stains. I ride vintage!"
    -xulf13-

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

I agree this sounds more like a Carb Float Adjustment or a Timing Adjustment.

The Carb Float could be allowing excess fuel to carbon up the plug then when carbon coated not firing well and gas fouling.

Or The timing not advanced enough on the one side and firing late cusing an incomplete burn.
    1970 CB 350 CAFE - Current Project on the bench,
    1972 CB 350 K4 Red - Now a Happy Rider ! !
    1972 CB 350 K4 Green (My Sons) DONE - YES !,
    1st Bike 1970 SL 350 (Brought home in Parts - Trailer/Trunk/Back Seat - I miss that bike),
    2nd - Bike Kawasaki 750
    3rd - '73 XLCH 1000

Thank you all for your advice.

I'm a bit surprised that this could be a fuel issue, but I'll look into it. I'll recheck the floats and the timing. So frustrating. But, the popping/backfiring mentioned in the older thread does points to a fuel problem (that's what I conclude based on reading through varius threads). Off with the carbs yet again...

I did take apart the advancer lately, removed a bit of corrosion and lubed it up. I can't imagine it would be malfunctioning...

Sponsored Links