Cb350 coils recommendation
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cb350 coils recommendation

Cb350 coils recommendation

I recently replaced my coils because I was having idle issues. One cylinder would intermittently cut out when warm. It made a huge difference in my low end power that i didnt expect, and i could feather the clutch from a stop much more easily than before.

However, the replacement coils were merely some used OEM spares I had and they seem to be going to way of the original set. When cold, I have great liw end punch but when fully warm— like coming off the highway warm— my idle is a bit low and intermittent and the bike dies unless I give it gas.

Firstly, should I blame the coils? Or do these air cooled engines all have idling issues when running really hot?

Secondly, if I were to replace them with a new plug-and-play set, what do you all recommend? FYI I run a PAMCO so they have a specific required resistance. Its 4-5k ohm if i remember correctly. The pamco site is down right now so Im not sure.

Thanks!

four to five ohm is more likely.......This is NOT confirmation, but I'm pretty sure the "k" doesn't apply here....
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 06-26-2019 at 04:34 PM.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

The Pamco site is down permanently, Pete is said to have retired from it. I do not know what resistance the Pamco EI requires, someone will be along to confirm
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Jeez, didnt realize he was gone. Makes sense though... he was barely able to keep up with customer service and emails. I wonder whose EI will take over.

I forgot the magnitude of the resistance but its definitely 4-5. Can anyone weigh in on whether their engines also have weak idle/intermittent dying when running hot? And as before, I mean like when you pull off the highway when its been running at 6k+ RPM. If other people have that, I will assume my coils are fine and it’s just a quirk of these old engines.

I am not trying to be a smart ass or anything like that so don't take this the wrong way. I have had lots of these old Hondas and have never had a minute of trouble with the points setup. I dress and adjust them every couple of years, takes about a half hour. They are so simple you can always keep them running long after the electronic ignition dies. I'm done on that.

But as for your current problem, I had a problem where the bike had an intermittent miss at idle, and midrange that I just couldn't figure out. Well after a couple of weeks, I figured out that the spark plug ground path was through the head, the cylinder studs, the crankcase, then the rear ground strap. Their was enough corrosion on the studs after all those years that there was very high resistance by the time you got to the spark plugs. So I ran a braided ground strap from the frame near the coils down to one of the acorn nuts on the rocker cover. It was like a new bike, great idle. Another quick thing I do sometimes is to pull the spark plugs, thoroughly clean the thread, especially if anit-seize had been used and put in new plugs out of the box with no anti-seize. The anti-seize which seems like a good idea, can cause enough resistance on these marginal systems to cause a weak spark. This has noticeably improved the misfire on some bikes I worked on. As for anti-seize, the spark plug manufacturers recommend putting them in dry, unless they're reused. The original coating on the plugs is designed to sacrifice itself when removed (don't believe me, read up on it on the NGK site). So hope any of this helps, it's cheap enough to try. Oh, another quick test is to run a thick test lead from the battery ground to the spark plug body, just below the boot. That has also helped me in the past to discover a ground path problem.
    Bill H likes this.

Most coils used in electronic ignitions are around 3 ohms, and for points around 5 ohms. There are exceptions, though. As far as the Honda coils go, I'm still running the original 50 year old ones on my 350 and they work fine. YMMV
    1969 Honda CL350
    1983 H-D XLX-61 Sportster

Go hercules,

I replaced the points setup because I had been running the Common Motor Collective's points and was having a lot of problems. They openly admit they are chinese-made and not to honda spec. They come with instructions on how to modify them to function better, which includes grinding, greasing, filing, and shimming. At the time I could not find new OEM points. I have set points well in the past, but the CMC set would not set correctly and I was having a top speed problem (wouldn't go above 60) that was fixed by moving to EI.

Your point about grounding it actually excellent. I did notice that a little wire that was installed by a PO to improve case-frame contact has broken. I will try replacing that. I am a little nervous about running without anti-seize on the spark threads, but I'll try using a test lead from plug to battery negative and see what happens.

I understand where you are coming from on the junk points for sure. I have found that new spark plugs installed ONE time come out easily. If re-used dry, then yeah could be trouble. But like I said, the plating they put on the spark plug threads is supposed to rub off when the plug is removed, thus protecting the aluminum threaded hole. Here is the exact quote I copied from the NGK website:

"NGK spark plugs feature what is known as trivalent plating. This silver- or chrome-colored finish on the threads is designed to provide corrosion resistance against moisture and chemicals. The coating also acts as a release agent during spark plug removal. NGK spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without the use of anti-seize. NGK tech support has received a number of tech calls from installers who have over-tightened spark plugs because of the use of anti-seize. Anti-seize compound can act as a lubricant altering torque values up to 20 percent, increasing the risk of spark plug thread breakage".

After reading that and experimenting on my lawn mower, I quit using anti-seize. I just replace the plugs if they have to come out. And also, I force myself to just snug the plugs. I am notorious for over tightening, so it's hard for me to not overtighten them, but I have learned just how much to snug them down. Now I never have problems with grounding or getting the plugs out safely.
    Last edited by go_hercules; 06-28-2019 at 07:39 PM.

I'm not a fan of the PAMCO EI System, and YES I have had expirence with him.
    Right after he changed the Rotors but before the Electronic Advance system I had ordered his system.
    I emailed him about the issue he had with the rotor magnets failing and he promised to send me the updated new version.
    (4) emails later no part.
    I gave up and never installed it since I knew it had a potential leave me stranded issue. (it's availabe if anyone wants it)

I have the Charles Place on (2) bikes with NO issues.
    I really like the way his pickup coils on the Replacement for the Breaker plate are mounted with individually adjustable pickups, and that the pickups are fully encased and protected not just bare sensors with a BEND the legs to adjust ? ?
    Really Pamco - Bend the legs to adjust what could possibly go wrong there ? ?

Anyway, I rant but I like it.
    Yes it uses the OEM Mechanical Advance but they are not hard to clean up and keep oiled.
    4.5K miles on one bike and 2+K on the other.

OH - Right this was a COILS Thread.

Mikes XS Coils with home made mounts on the Older Bike and Dyna Coils with his mounts from Charles Place on the other.
    1970 CB 350 CAFE - Current Project on the bench,
    1972 CB 350 K4 Red - Now a Happy Rider ! !
    1972 CB 350 K4 Green (My Sons) DONE - YES !,
    1st Bike 1970 SL 350 (Brought home in Parts - Trailer/Trunk/Back Seat - I miss that bike),
    2nd - Bike Kawasaki 750
    3rd - '73 XLCH 1000

Go Hercules,

I checked the resistance between the spark plug bodies and my battery negative. They're quite well grounded. Nonetheless I will try installing without anti-seize next time I replace the plugs, although I admit I'm still not sure how tight "snug" is. I just try not to overtighten.

Yendor,

Pete must have updated the system since you had yours, because the pickups on the ones I've had are individually adjustable with a movable plate. However, on both Pamco's I've owned, the rotor was NOT plug and play. I had to dremel both in order to get it to key onto the camshaft end.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links