HondaTwins Forums

Grey wire with starter solenoid wires

Thread: Grey wire with starter solenoid wires

Tags: cl350, cl350k0, grey, solenoid, starter

scuba6388 said:

Grey wire with starter solenoid wires

So I'm not sure what this grey wire was supposed to go to. From the wiring diagram it looks like the only grey wire is the blinker relay, but I believe that is under the tank from what I've read (haven't gotten to the wiring under the tank yet). It is a grey wire coming out of the harness along with the two starter solenoid wires (yellow w/ red stripe, and black).

Can someone help get me sorted out on what this cut off wire is supposed to go to?

Grey wire with starter solenoid wires-img_4957.jpg

Thanks,
    Steve

Sonreir said:
    Gray wire is under the tank on most models, but not all.

Grab a multimeter and test continuity between that wire and the gray at the front just to make sure it's not just another color that has faded over time.

66Sprint said:
    I'll wager it is actually Green with a Yellow stripe ...... (To Brake-light switch along with the "open" space in the Black wire double connection)....

I'm SO sure that I would simply touch it to B+ and watch for the brake light to come on......
    But you can always simply check continuity to front brake-switch Green/yellow wire or the taillight Green/yellow connector in the harness at the rear fender......
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 06-12-2019 at 09:44 AM.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

scuba6388 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by 66Sprint View Post
    I'll wager it is actually Green with a Yellow stripe ...... (To Brake-light switch along with the "open" space in the Black wire double connection)....

I'm SO sure that I would simply touch it to B+ and watch for the brake light to come on......
    But you can always simply check continuity to front brake-switch Green/yellow wire or the taillight Green/yellow connector in the harness at the rear fender......
    I know the lighting in the pictures kind of throws off the colors, but I'm pretty sure it's grey (could be baby blue). Also, the picture below shows the brake light and rear blinker section of the harness -- these were connected when I got the bike.

Grey wire with starter solenoid wires-img_4963.jpg

scuba6388 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonreir View Post
    Gray wire is under the tank on most models, but not all.

Grab a multimeter and test continuity between that wire and the gray at the front just to make sure it's not just another color that has faded over time.
    Thanks, I'll give this a try tonight when I'll have some more time to see if the relay is under the tank or just missing.
    Last edited by scuba6388; 06-12-2019 at 10:23 AM.

66Sprint said:
    Yes, but power must be provided to that Green/Yellow wire connection in that second pic to light the filament......
    This is provided by one or both of two switches....
    One controlled by the front brake lever, and one controlled by the brake pedal......
    Each of those switches has two wires... A Black (providing power) and a Green /Yellow (carrying/sending that power on and back to those taillight connections from the second pic when the switch is activated)

Since BOTH the Gray wire and the Green/Yellow wires ultimately carry B+ to a lamp when switched , it is SAFE to simply touch either one to B+.....
    IF the wire is actually Gray, the turn signal can actually then work with the key off.....IF it is the Green/Yellow (which I'm sure it is by position in the harness) the brake-light will illuminate with the key off......

The SOLENOID is shown in your first picture, so it isn't under the tank........(I think you meant flasher module)
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 06-12-2019 at 10:17 AM.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."

scuba6388 said:
    Thank you. I'll do some testing this afternoon. Not trying to argue, just to better understand. It seems to me that the brake light wiring is already accounted for (given the wiring diagram). There are three wires for the brake/taillight. Solid Green (ground), Green/yellow (one wire on brake light side that is spliced to both front and rear brake switches), and brown (power from ignition switch). Taillight is also grounded to bike.

If what you're saying is that mystery wire is really green/yellow, then it seems it would need to be spliced to the other green/yellow since there is only one green/yellow lead from the taillight. Strange since everything else looks like factory connectors.

Maybe I'm missing something. I'll do some continuity testing to confirm things.

Thanks!
    Last edited by scuba6388; 06-12-2019 at 10:48 AM.

ancientdad said:
    I can tell you that if your bike is a 350 (as your avatar suggests, but not mentioned in this thread), solid green is not power - it's ground
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

66Sprint said:
    Green wire is the ground (for both brake and tail light filaments, and turn signals))...... Brown is power for tail-light.......
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 06-12-2019 at 10:26 AM.

scuba6388 said:
    My bad. Yes it's a '68/'69 CL350 and green is the ground.
    Last edited by scuba6388; 06-12-2019 at 10:50 AM.