Interesting results 72 CB350 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Interesting results 72 CB350

I’ll have to get the pic later but it’s yellow to yellow and blue to blue coils to points. Each has a condenser wire going in. Running without a kill switch so the black and white wires are getting power from a dedicated power line in.

Valves were done on LT and T (I’m going to double check that this weekend) to my recollection.

For points to open I had the LF mark going CCW to indicator mark and used my finger on the spark hole to get suction. Set the left spark, then rotated CCW 180° and set right point. I assumed it goes (left compression right compression left exhaust right exhaust) in order.

I’ll have to check the piston spark plug view out this weekend too.

Quote Originally Posted by doode View Post
    Oh, I didn't realize it hasn't run since the rebuild.

Did the spark advance mech come apart at all?
    When you set points to open on compression stroke, how did you know it's the right stroke?
    You set the points to open on F and LF and not T/LT, correct?
    You set the valve on T and LT, yes?
    Follow the wires from the points to the coils. What color wire goes to which coil? Post a photo of the points so e can see the wires connected.
    Somewhat separate, but remove the left plug and rotate to LT. Can you see the piston? If not, rotate 360. Can you see the piston? Make sure LT is the top of travel for the piston, and tht it isn't off.
    Confirm both sides spark.

Quote Originally Posted by Alewiska View Post
    For points to open I had the LF mark going CCW to indicator mark and used my finger on the spark hole to get suction.
    What you should actually be feeling for is compression from the plug hole... then that cylinder is ready to fire. Suction is when the piston is on the way down during the intake stroke
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

^^^ that could be it.
    Which point is the yellow wire? Right or left?
    Which coil is the yellow wire? When sitting on the bike, right or left?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

What doode is asking is:
    Does the front-most point's wire (left point) go to the coil whose plug wire is on the left cylinder's spark-plug?
    Typically this is the Yellow wire, but as coils can be swapped on the bracket AND the bracket can be mounted with the plug wires "aiming" at the front wheel or back towards the carbs, there's a lot of chances for errors in simply matching color to color..........You can also be off 180 degrees by using the exhaust stroke's LT alignment to set the points, OR the breaker cam could be 180 off on the advance unit.......We simply need to eliminate the erroneous possibilities.....
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

I see now what you meant, yellow wire is left side coil and left point, blue is right side and right point. I see how that could get mixed up but, I haven’t changed the coils around or the point order from when it was running. I’ll post a pic to ensure later on.

Quote Originally Posted by doode View Post
    ^^^ that could be it.
    Which point is the yellow wire? Right or left?
    Which coil is the yellow wire? When sitting on the bike, right or left?
    Quote Originally Posted by 66Sprint View Post
    What doode is asking is:
    Does the front-most point's wire (left point) go to the coil whose plug wire is on the left cylinder's spark-plug?
    Typically this is the Yellow wire, but as coils can be swapped on the bracket AND the bracket can be mounted with the plug wires "aiming" at the front wheel or back towards the carbs, there's a lot of chances for errors in simply matching color to color..........You can also be off 180 degrees by using the exhaust stroke's LT alignment to set the points, OR the breaker cam could be 180 off on the advance unit.......We simply need to eliminate the erroneous possibilities.....

It could as be as simple as the Breaker Cam was installed 180 out of phase.
    Easy to do I've done it and everything LOOKS good but won't run.
    1970 CB 350 CAFE - Current Project on the bench,
    1972 CB 350 K4 Red - Now a Happy Rider ! !
    1972 CB 350 K4 Green (My Sons) DONE - YES !,
    1st Bike 1970 SL 350 (Brought home in Parts - Trailer/Trunk/Back Seat - I miss that bike),
    2nd - Bike Kawasaki 750
    3rd - '73 XLCH 1000

Quick update here and thanks mainly to sprint. (Not discrediting everyone else, he answered my call and helped me to diagnose the issues step by step) Woodruff key sheared. Waiting on an OEM replacement and then going to have to back track a little to make sure everything is timed right. Hoping it was just the stator alternator slipped and not the cam being off. If so, pulling her back out to get it done properly.

I know it can happen, but I personally have never seen it - and for me, it's hard to imagine a scenario where it could get loose enough to move enough to shear the key... but I suppose after a few less-than-knowledgeable POs have come and gone, any possible starter clutch "repairs" done along the way could contribute to the possibility. Great that you figured it out and not at all surprised that Steve was the reason. It also explains other things along the way, like suction while approaching LF/LT...
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

I may have screwed something up. I had it running but the timing chain was off two teeth, it appeared, so I brought it back down to check everything out and replace the head gasket. It has to have been something I did. Just hoping it’s not a more serious problem I caused when I split the cases. Trying to backtrack all of my work and get it running right though.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    I know it can happen, but I personally have never seen it - and for me, it's hard to imagine a scenario where it could get loose enough to move enough to shear the key... but I suppose after a few less-than-knowledgeable POs have come and gone, any possible starter clutch "repairs" done along the way could contribute to the possibility. Great that you figured it out and not at all surprised that Steve was the reason. It also explains other things along the way, like suction while approaching LF/LT...

I did an engine where the rotor had slipped out of place. Turned out it was a couple teeth off and the left piston got stuck on the intake valve. Not happy about that!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links