Flloat Height (again, sorry!) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Flloat Height (again, sorry!)

As above post by 83XLX. I also check both sides of the float as they often have a twist in them.

Make sure the needle valve spring is not gummed up and stuck in the up position. The pin/spring need to move freely.

Something else to make sure of is installing the carbs level so the float level is horizontal. If the carbs are twisted a little in the mounts, the float level can be screwed up even if they are adjusted correctly on the work bench.
    1969 Honda CL350
    1983 H-D XLX-61 Sportster

Hi Boomer, Aha! That's very interesting, I had been advised to hold the carb inverted to measure, that means the little sprung pin is compressed by the weight of the float, the method shown in your picture now makes much more sense to me. Incidentally 27mm "my way" equates to 32mm your way, so I'll be using your way from now on.
    Thanks very much,
    Robin.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwheel View Post
    Hi Boomer, Aha! That's very interesting, I had been advised to hold the carb inverted to measure, that means the little sprung pin is compressed by the weight of the float, the method shown in your picture now makes much more sense to me. Incidentally 27mm "my way" equates to 32mm your way, so I'll be using your way from now on.
    Thanks very much,
    Robin.
    You're welcome...lol
    ancientdad likes this.
    1969 Honda CL350

Quote Originally Posted by 83XLX View Post
    You're welcome...lol
    and to think I got the float settings from you in the first place ....
    83XLX likes this.

'morning, I thought I'd replied to this last night, but it seems to have disappeared.
    I had been advised to measure float height with the carb inverted, this naturally means that the weight of the float compresses the little sprung pin on the needle valve, I'll try again using the method shown in your picture 83XLX, thanks for the info, I'll let you know how I it works out for me.
    Robin.
    83XLX likes this.

Hi, me yet again!

Float heights now set and checked carefully, it all makes sense, if I hold the carb vertical, at 90 degrees, as in 83XLX photo, then it measures 27mm.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------- if I hold the carb horizontal and inverted at 180 degrees, then it measures 22mm.

Thanks again for all the help.
    Robin.

Hi Guys,
    I've set the float heights as advised, checked all the carb adjustments and fitted new(expensive) air filters. Wow! What a difference, quite a few sleeping horses are now "woke".
    The old air cleaners did not look too bad, but I guess 11,000 miles in Nebraska might have sucked up some fine dust, I might try stripping out the paper from those old filters and converting them to washable foam.
    I've now got another query about this bike, but not under this section.
    Thanks again,
    Robin.

Try blowing the dirt out of the old old air cleaners by using compressed air from the inside and tapping them on a hard surface. That's what Honda recommended doing to clean them, and you may end up with a decent pair of replacements (or a pair you can sell) instead of destroying them.
    1969 Honda CL350

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links