Leaning bike to the left kills it
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Leaning bike to the left kills it

So I've had some troubles with my right carburetor on my CL350. I replaced most of the important parts on the insides of both carbs, but unfortunately the emulsifier tubes that came with the kit did not fit correctly. The old ones actually snap into place and the new ones slipped right out. Anyway, I was able to clean the old tubes well enough and the bike runs okay-ish. Something weird I noticed was that it starts to die when physically leaning the bike over to the left while idling/still. Leaning it to the right doesn't do anything so I'm wondering if there's still an issue with that right carburetor or if it's something else entirely.

Has anyone ever experienced this kind of thing before?

James, Please phone me about this.....
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

Quote Originally Posted by 66Sprint View Post
    James, Please phone me about this.....
    Sounds good. When is a good time for you?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Now or anytime......
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."

Please post the fix/cause of this if possible. I'm curious.
    1981 Honda CX500D
    1974 Honda CB450
    1986 Yamaha Radian 600

Martha's Vineyard Ma

Got my curiosity....
    "Yes, my hands and nails have grease stains. I ride vintage!"
    -xulf13-

Weird my bike idles slower when leaned to the left side

So I don't think there's really an issue after talking to 66Sprint this evening. Here's an update for those who were curious! And perhaps I should rephrase, the bike doesn't immediately die, just idles poorly and dies after a few seconds.

It turns out that it's not the best idea to lean the bike to the left while idling due to the oil pump being on the right side. Don't want any air getting in there or prevent oil from getting to places it needs to be. Next, it could be that the camshaft has excessive side to side play (since I didn't put a shim in there) and the slight shift could be causing a difference in timing due to the lesser warn part of the lobes coming into contact with the rocker arms. I was planning on checking the timing today anyway and it was a fair amount off, so I corrected that as close as I could get it with the strobe.

The idea that stood out to me the most is the fact that the petcock is on the right side of the gas tank and it just might not be flowing enough when leaning it to the left. I'm guessing this is probably the cause since there's not a full tank of gas in it currently and it doesn't happen when leaning to the right. Either way I'm going to move on to the more important issues that need to be addressed before the bike is satisfying to ride. It idles fine while it's vertical, which is the most important!

My thoughts (musings) were:
    Plug wire falls left and finds a preemptive ground
    cam moves slightly left and slightly alters point timing
    oil washes left (above windage tray) and drags on crank
    Fuel washes left and reduces feed pressure from tank, AND floods carb jetting, flooding sparkplug....This doesn't happen when bike is rolling because centrifugal force and momentum hold it at approximately the same level as vertical rolling position.......

Anyone else want to add possibilities to the list?... Please do.....I'm grasping at straws here......

I have the same problem with my Dohc 450. When on the side stand, the idle will smoothly drop until it quits- takes about 20 seconds. I *imagine* it has something to do with the floats hanging up and causing a rich condition, as Steve suggests, but I've learned to use the center stand when I can't prop the bike on the slope.

The slope I'm referring to is the uneven gravel approach to my garage, and the only time this problem occurs is after a spirited ride locally and I'm off the bike and opening the garage door. If I'm quick, it won't stall. If I park it across the slope the bike stays more vertical and the idle is more or less constant. I think it's also dependent on how hard the motor's been worked at the tail end of my ride, when it might be hotter than normal. I never leave it idling otherwise, and only do so during a cold start.

Next time I give it a tune up, I'll check for cam 'shift' when I'm adjusting the cam chain tension, but that'll be a while.

I should add that my shocks are about an inch longer than stock so the bike will lean more while on the side stand. With the stock sized rear tire(when new), the center stand barely gets the tire off the concrete pad in my garage but if I use a 1/4" 'shim' The tire has plenty of clearance.

Steve's theory about the cam shifting is intriguing and I wonder if it somehow affects the advance mechanism, and not just the points...
    Last edited by Twowheelrich; 07-04-2019 at 08:12 AM.
    1973 CB450
    1968 CL 175
    1991 KLR 250

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links