CL360 - Idle Adjustment - Can’t raise enough - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: CL360 - Idle Adjustment - Can’t raise enough

Where are you adjusting the Idle Speed?

Your original post mentions using a CABLE TYPE Adjuster?

There should be a Spring Loaded (to hold tension) Idle Speed Screw on the end of the Throttle Plate Shaft.
    That is where the Idel Speed is adjusted by opening the throttle plates directly at the shaft.
    1970 CB 350 CAFE - Current Project on the bench,
    1972 CB 350 K4 Red - Now a Happy Rider ! !
    1972 CB 350 K4 Green (My Sons) DONE - YES !,
    1st Bike 1970 SL 350 (Brought home in Parts - Trailer/Trunk/Back Seat - I miss that bike),
    2nd - Bike Kawasaki 750
    3rd - '73 XLCH 1000

Correct, there is a thumb screw with a slot for a screwdriver on the left side of the carb assembly of the left carb. Turning clockwise will increase the idle speed of that particular carb and increase overall RPM at idle. HOWEVER, you must then use a LONG screwdriver through the hole in the frame to adjust the right carb to synch them together. If they are not synched properly, you will notice that the RPMs will go up when you twist the throttle, but then stay there and come back down very slowly, if at all.

Check out page 20 of the Honda Service Manual or pages 48-49 of the CB360 Owner's Manual.
    Last edited by krukster86; 06-10-2019 at 06:53 AM.
    1975 CB360T Cafe Project (Being rebuilt from crispy bits!) - Done-ish...now in maintenance mode
    2009 Suzuki VStrom 650
    1983 BMW R100RT

The screw in cable adjuster I believe is really only used to adjust for throttle slack, not for changing idle speed through the carburetors.
    1975 CB360T Cafe Project (Being rebuilt from crispy bits!) - Done-ish...now in maintenance mode
    2009 Suzuki VStrom 650
    1983 BMW R100RT

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Yendor, the throttle shafts come together in the middle and the cable (like a speedo cable) I ok the left side of the carbs near the exhaust. When you screw this cable clockwise it moves the ends of the throttle shafts open. So I am certain it adjusts idle. I think we’re just having trouble understanding each other because “cable adjuster” sounds like the parts that take slack out of throttle cables.

Carbs are synced, rpm’s rise and fall nicely. Maybe I should post a video.
    1975 CB400F
    1972 CL175K6

Please take a look at the video below. You can hear me describing the problem with my friend.

1975 CB400F
    1972 CL175K6

(2) Questions:

Is the Choke - "ON"?

Are you letting it overheat while playing with it?

These are Air Cooled motors and don't really like to be running too long standing still.
    The Simple fix is to place a BOX FAN on a Milk Crate in front of the bike while doing adjustments that require the motor to be running.
    1970 CB 350 CAFE - Current Project on the bench,
    1972 CB 350 K4 Red - Now a Happy Rider ! !
    1972 CB 350 K4 Green (My Sons) DONE - YES !,
    1st Bike 1970 SL 350 (Brought home in Parts - Trailer/Trunk/Back Seat - I miss that bike),
    2nd - Bike Kawasaki 750
    3rd - '73 XLCH 1000

1. Choke is not on (closed)

2. I haven't run it for long enough to overheat, maybe 10 minutes or so.

I'm going to be taking carbs off next week when I have time (maybe sunday)
    1975 CB400F
    1972 CL175K6

Choke closed is ON (Choked)....
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

There’s something I’m still not clear on. Are you adjusting the idle speed with the cable adjuster or the idle speed screw (not idle mixture screw)? You said you bench set the carbs with throttle blades completely closed (touching the bore), when, in fact, they should be open just a crack with the screw(s) enough that you see a slight sliver of light perpendicular to the shaft when looking through the bore.
    I bought a ‘65 Triumph awhile back that hade a single carb slide Mikuni conversion (rather than the diaphragm type like yours), and when I talked to the owner he said every time he turned a corner, the engine changed speed, usually speeding up. I asked how he set the idle speed, and he told me with the cable adjuster on top of the carb. It had a lot to do with why he was selling it. He said it’s dangerous. In two minutes I showed him that the idle speed is set by the idle screw. I put full slack into the cable, then bumped the idle screw until it changed the idle speed. Then I showed him how to set the correct cable slack with the cable adjusters, with slight movement of the twist grip before the speed changed. I turned the bars both ways a few times with zero engine speed change. He said he didn’t know how the new carb worked, but I reminded him it’s just like the Amal he removed. He still sold the bike to me saying how he’s more of a Harley guy and this one is too complicated for him. I made out like a bandit.
    In your case, the idle screw(s) are outside the carb directly influencing the carb shaft rather than the bottom of the slide. They push on the piece your throttle cable attaches to.
    I really hope I misunderstood what you did, but since I wasn’t sure, I shared my thoughts with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Luziman View Post
    There’s something I’m still not clear on. Are you adjusting the idle speed with the cable adjuster or the idle speed screw (not idle mixture screw)? You said you bench set the carbs with throttle blades completely closed (touching the bore), when, in fact, they should be open just a crack with the screw(s) enough that you see a slight sliver of light perpendicular to the shaft when looking through the bore.
    On this model of bike the idle adjustment screw is a cable. Basically a screw that is located in a more convenient spot, and that turns a cable, which has threads on the end, and acts like a screw.
    1975 CB400F
    1972 CL175K6

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links