Tach Drive Oil Seal, How do I get to it?

Tach Drive Oil Seal, How do I get to it?

Not much info out there on replacing this seal. I have a pretty good little oil leak that I thought was coming from the upper cyclinder and pooling around the plug but after further inspection, it is coming out of the tach cable intake, esecially when warm and revved. After I little diagnosis from the great Ben Miranda, I have a tach seal on the way. Upon getting the stubborn screw above the tach cable off with an impact driver, I realized it looks like I will have to unscrew the top end of the engine meaning I will have to mess with the valves. Is this the only way to get to this seal? I have not tampered with the valves before so I don't want to screw them up. I will have to set them after. I know needle nose pliers should do the trick when I get to the seal but is there anything a novice mechanic like myself should know about this operation? Thanks in advance.

Dan

Realized the seal is actually behind where the tach cable goes into the engine, now just need to figure out how I will get it out.

Honda Cb350 Super Sport 350 K4 1972 Usa Cylinder Head Side Cover - Breaker Advancer - schematic partsfiche

Seal is #19....simply pull part #5 out with needle nose........NO NEED to tear apart any further....

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Would that not result in a risk of losing #17 inside the engine? Or damaging it when you put #5 back in?
    1972 CB350K3 General Export | 1976 CB200T K0

Access to "inside the engine" is blocked by the camshaft end.....

Yes, care must be used to insure all parts are in their proper places when re-assembling.....THAT SHOULD go without saying......

I removed the whole cam bearing when I replaced the sealing. The upside was that I found out the small spacer was not even present in my engine.
    1972 CB350K3 General Export | 1976 CB200T K0

Sponsored Links