CB360 Clutch Cable/Crankcase Repair
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CB360 Clutch Cable/Crankcase Repair

Hey all, new to the board. I bought this 1975 Honda CB360T about a week ago, and plan to repair/restore as needed. Right now, I really need a working clutch. I'll explain what I've done so you can properly punish me for my ignorance.

Bike runs fine, but the clutch lever was broken. It would often die if not helped when idling in gear. The cable sloths its way back into place when I release it. And finally, I couldn't shift to neutral unless I was stopped (you know, when it dies).

So I got the manual, ordered a new lever and cable, and here begins the journey with my first motorcycle.

I read and re-read the steps and diagrams outlined in the book, and am excited to start taking things apart. Reality sets in:

CB360 Clutch Cable/Crankcase Repair-cb360_left_rear_crankcase_open.jpg

I compare it to this:

CB360 Clutch Cable/Crankcase Repair-cb360_manual_left_crankcase_diagram.jpg
    Page 45 from Honda Service Manual for CB250, CB360, CL360, CJ250T/CJ360T, 1976

So, my initial reactions:

1) What all do I need to replace here?
    2) Where can I get such a part?
    3) Should there be that much grease everwhere? (i.e. what all can I clean up here?)
    4) This wire sure is falling apart (Stator wire?): http://s7.postimg.org/yzht5l51n/CB360_Gross_Cable.jpg

I think I need a new clutch lever (item 7 in the above diagram). But that sure is a tough search term. And of course they're listed, but not available for purchase on the OEM sites (BikeBandit, Dealer Cost Parts, Honda Parts Direct, etc.).

You know, I haven't actually scraped apart and untangled the cable in that first photo. I may do that and see what's left of the lever.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Please feel free to suggest anything I can do while down here that will be beneficial as well. And I look forward to bringing you more of my problems. Thank you.
    Last edited by tlow87; 08-10-2014 at 01:15 AM.

what am I missing ? looks like you have it all. grimy , to be sure, but all there. clutch cable could be shot, but the clutch lifter (#7) adjustment is tricky , and I bet that's where you're getting tripped up .
    also, if the bike sat for long, the clutch plates can be stuck together . fresh oil, and a few warm up/cool down cycles whilst working the clutch lever (hand control) should free it .

You're right. I think I saw it all wrapped up and thought it was done. But maybe the lever's fine.

Most of this grease is really dirty. Should I wipe it all out and add fresh grease where it should be?

As for that hard wire tucked into the bottom of the crankcase (http://s7.postimg.org/yzht5l51n/CB360_Gross_Cable.jpg), its housing is falling apart and covered in the same crap. How best I take care of this?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Get a sizable drip pan and some Spray degreaser and go to town on that sucker. All of that is just years of chain lube and possible clutch actuator grease IF the PO ever greased it. I've loaded things up and taken them to the car wash and done it there as well.

THEN take it apart and see what you need. I get lots of things that are NLA off ebay used. Parts breakers will take things apart toss them into a box and call it MISC and sell it. If they only knew what some of the parts were worth they would take a little more time doing things.

Worst comes to worst you can find an entire used sprocket cover.

I also suggest checking the "BALL" in the middle of the actuator, make sure it is PRESENT and round. They can be found at your local hardware store if need be.

Which clutch cable did you get? Motion Pro? Most times thier cables are slightly SHORT internally. You may need to leave off the adjuster nut at the clutch lever to get it to work correctly. If the original still works, just get a luber tool and lube it and run it.

Quote Originally Posted by frogman79 View Post
    Get a sizable drip pan and some Spray degreaser and go to town on that sucker ... THEN take it apart and see what you need.
    So noob on this question - but can I spray it down with the cover off, inside the crankcase? Once clean, where exactly should I add grease?
    Tannie
    Santa Cruz, CA

Central Florida-Altamonte Springs. Sometimes South Wales UK
    slide out #7 and #9, don't loose ball bearing (no number, looks like a zero in parts pic) If you do, it's 5/16" any cycle shop should have some or you can get one from Honda dealer
    Clean everything with solvent - I use diesel fuel, it's cheap and leaves oily film.
    Does smell a bit though
    There are three types of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
    I'm not a complete idiot, but, I'm working on it

That's not inside the crank case that's just what hides under the sprocket cover. Usually will look like that after years of riding and not cleaning things.

Otherwise ditto on what Pj said.

I often use a spray can of brake clean on these areas to clean them up, after taking a putty knife to them.
    TOOLS

Awesome! Thanks all. I'll let you know what happens with the cable lever.

So, unfortunately it was a busted clutch lever (#7 in above chart).
    CB360 Clutch Cable/Crankcase Repair-cb360_clutchlever.jpg

I'm not 100% sure if thats a ball bearing in there. Couldn't bang it out. Dust seal (#8) looks pretty crappy, not exactly flat.
    CB360 Clutch Cable/Crankcase Repair-cb360_clutchball.jpg

I'm purchasing this eBay listing - it looks like it has what I need!

In case the eBay listing gets pulled:
    CB360 Clutch Cable/Crankcase Repair-ebay.jpg

Almost too good to be true at $10. All other sprocket covers without these parts are going for ~$30.
    Here's my backup.

What do y'all think? I'll be back on my bike soon?!
    Last edited by tlow87; 08-10-2014 at 04:32 PM.
    Tannie
    Santa Cruz, CA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links