Cl350 rebuild, how far do I go if I just need a new tensionor pully?

Cl350 rebuild, how far do I go if I just need a new tensionor pully?

Engine has 10k miles.
    Im replacing the tensionor pully and wheels.
    Engine has good compression.

Should I go ahead and get valves ground, replace followers, cam chain, hone bores, replace rings etc..?
    Is it also advisable to go ahead and take off the bottom of the crankcase and go through everything?

I not 100% sure the gearbox is ok. I was told back in 1994 the gearbox is "sloppy" from someone who looked at it once. I think he rode harleys though and kept calling it a rice grinder so not sure. Its been so long since I rode it I dont recall any issues though.
    1973 CL350 since 1994. First vehicle I ever owned and driven.

I guess it depends on how long you plan to keep the bike. If I were going into an engine in a bike that I planned to keep long term, I'd do whatever it needed once torn down and inspected. You can go anywhere from a simple leak test on the valves to see if they're sealing well right now, or take the head apart and lap the valves, or if the seats look rough then get the seats cut. Same with the rocker arms and cam lobes, and for that you have Delta Camshaft in Washington to get them resurfaced. Have a machine shop measure/check the bore for size and taper/roundness and the pistons to see if they're in spec, and inspect the pistons to see if the ring lands are in spec and if all is good, hone and put a new set of rings in it. If you're going that far, then you should put a new cam chain in it. Or, just replace the bare necessities and get it running decently and ride it a while if your plans aren't long term. As for the "sloppy gearbox", it could easily be the stock linkage shifter joints/pins are worn, simple fix
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time
    Budget drag bike project
    CB350K1 full patina project
    Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

I want it to last 20 more years so I can do it again when Im 60 So there is my answer.
    1973 CL350 since 1994. First vehicle I ever owned and driven.

Sponsored Links