Cam Shaft oil seal - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cam Shaft oil seal

Quote Originally Posted by 66Sprint View Post
    If it doesn't leak it should be fine.......
    I didn't think this was causing a leak, but now it has me second guessing myself. And with engine pulled, I just want to make sure it's right. I didn't have oil in the points housing, but a lot underneath the points housing. I initially thought it might have been the cam case gasket but I wonder if it was because this seal wasn't installed correctly.

I can get the seal to look "normal" when I install the seal directly onto the camshaft. The spring stays in place and the seal lip faces inward. But when I put the seal in the housing and slide the camshaft through, the spring pops off and it looks like the picture in my original post.
    74 CB350F
    72 CL350

Wait, I think I can get the seal to work if I install the seal after the camshaft is inserted into the points housing? Boomer, is this how you do it?
    74 CB350F
    72 CL350

The garter spring should stay in its groove internally and the lip of the seal should "point" inward........
    For the nominal cost of a seal, I'd just replace it with a "known to fit correctly" part, and order the seal from Honda...
    Did you lubricate the sealing lip during install?
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 66Sprint View Post
    The garter spring should stay in its groove internally and the lip of the seal should "point" inward........
    For the nominal cost of a seal, I'd just replace it with a "known to fit correctly" part, and order the seal from Honda...
    Did you lubricate the sealing lip during install?
    Correct, I did lubricate it. Right now, I'm just loosely testing to see if I can get the camshaft to slide into the seal correctly and it never does. Just kinda bulges out and pops. This doesn't seem to be the best design. Sucks, I have everything needed to reassembly the engine tonight and install tomorrow but will have to wait. I think I'll source the OEM Honda seal.

Thanks for the insight into this.
    74 CB350F
    72 CL350

The strange thing is, if the seal is reversed, the camshaft slips into the seal perfectly and the spring stays in place....
    74 CB350F
    72 CL350

Not being there to see it, I would say the spring isn't seated correctly... Too shallow perhaps.
    You can fuss with it til you get it, or as Sprint66 recommends, source a replacement.

After fiddling with it for a bit, i managed to get the camshaft through very slowly while working the lip inward as i pressed it together. It now looks seated properly and the spring stayed in place.
    74 CB350F
    72 CL350

This is something you'll want to be 150% confidant about. If it comes apart at 7000rpm you'll wished you'd invested in the replacement

Update: A couple days ago, i got the engine back into the bike with all necessary adjustments, etc. I took the bike on a quick 10 mile or so ride. Keeping the revs up and down. She's running very well!

Good news. The oil leak is gone along the top of the engine. Today, i removed the points advancer to double check the camshaft seal and all looks normal.

Semi-bad news: The clutch push rod seal is now leaking. Wasnt before. I have all 4 seals on order to replace behind the clutch cover. Im sure after the fresh oil and finally being ridden after who knows how long, these little things will pop up.

I have no history of the bike before me so i dont really know when it last ran. But im thankful it shifts well and has power through all the gears. Feels like a solid bike.
    74 CB350F
    72 CL350

Only replace the pushrod seal. Don't fuss with the others unless you need to
    The pushrod seal is easy.
    Thanks for the update. Good to hear all went well

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links