struggling to get my CL350 running correctly - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: struggling to get my CL350 running correctly

A person can say rejet for pods, but what is that really? Leaner, fatter, shimmed or files the needle, went bananas like crazy pj?

Also, after reading ^^^, make sure the choke strap between the two carbs is hooked up and oriented correctly. Maybe it's slipped and the rt carb is getting choked

After you finish beating up the carbs-do a compression check and a leak down check that will tell you if you have a cylinder or valve problem.
    Remember that engine is 40+ years old might be time to freshen it up.
    I don't run the stock carbs as they have to many quirks-I use the metal piston ones from the 450-reset float level and install a 35 slow speed jet and Bobs your uncle.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 83XLX View Post
    try running it without the pods just to take them out of the equation.
    Running without PODS did not change anything at all.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    After you finish beating up the carbs-do a compression check and a leak down check that will tell you if you have a cylinder or valve problem.
    Remember that engine is 40+ years old might be time to freshen it up.
    I don't run the stock carbs as they have to many quirks-I use the metal piston ones from the 450-reset float level and install a 35 slow speed jet and Bobs your uncle.
    Good luck.
    I did a compression test today on a cold engine using the kick starter about 6-7 times. Interestingly, the compressions numbers are pretty high. (i tested compression last summer and both cylinders were 170). Now I am getting 200 PSI today on both cylinders? Does this have any significance?

Quote Originally Posted by doode View Post
    A person can say rejet for pods, but what is that really? Leaner, fatter, shimmed or files the needle, went bananas like crazy pj?

Also, after reading ^^^, make sure the choke strap between the two carbs is hooked up and oriented correctly. Maybe it's slipped and the rt carb is getting choked
    when I mentioned earlier that the carbs were professionally rebuilt and re-jetted for PODs, I was actually referring to crazyPJ. I sent them to PJ two years ago and he was the one who originally set them up for me with my setup (PODS and open exhaust).

Hmmm... 83xlx asked about plug color? Anything notable there?
    I've had similar issue before but it was solved with coil and condenser replacement. From the sounds of it you did a swap, so maybe your ignition unit? Can you switch to points to test?
    Can you test your compression gauge on another bike to see if it also reads high?

Check the advance mechanism behind the points plate. If it's a conversion to electronic I have not idea how they change timing w RPMs.
    Mike

CT90 (2)
    SL350 - k1

Sure sounds like a fuel issue. Wonder if that carb is running out of fuel due to low float.? Be nice if U could ride it and pull the plugs after that bog. I take it you have new coils ?

I think you should check the fuel supply back to the tank pick up, maybe it’s only getting enough gas for the closest cylinder also check valve and ignition timing.

Sounds like you've beat the carbs to death. I would start by making sure the ignition timing is spot on both cylinders. If reading the plugs doesn't show anything significant quit beating up the carbs. Timing chain adjustment and revisit the valve lash. Are the carbs synced all the way from idle to WOT?
    John D.
    If it has wheels or wears a skirt, you can't afford it!
    Don't fix it until it's broke

Own:
    2010 Ultra Classic Ltd
    2008 Dyna Lowrider
    80 GS750E for Sale
    83 KZ1100A (shafty)
    71 CL350/Bingham Mark II sidecar

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links