350 cam bolt hardness
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 350 cam bolt hardness

350 cam bolt hardness

The original cam bolts are marked with 11 on the bolt head. I have read that they are not standard 8.8 bolts. And they also do not feel like standard bolts when you torque them. But does anyone actually know how hard they are? Possible options are typically 10.9 or 12.9.

The advised and tested 12 - 15 Ft/lbs I read in the sticky topic on this sub forum suggests that it is a 12.9 bolt. As far as I know 13 Ft/lbs (or 17.652 Nm) is the advised torque on a dry M6 12.9 bolt
    Last edited by Erwin; 06-09-2019 at 08:35 AM.
    1972 CB350K3 General Export | 1976 CB200T K0

If you are replacing them remember that on is a SHOULDERED Bolt to insure proper alignment of the Cam Sprocket.
    1970 CB 350 CAFE - Current Project on the bench,
    1972 CB 350 K4 Red - Now a Happy Rider ! !
    1972 CB 350 K4 Green (My Sons) DONE - YES !,
    1st Bike 1970 SL 350 (Brought home in Parts - Trailer/Trunk/Back Seat - I miss that bike),
    2nd - Bike Kawasaki 750
    3rd - '73 XLCH 1000

I just looked at a Todd Henning racing sprocket, and the pic showed jdm? 10.9 bolts. Bolt depot described as automotive grade. I've no experience, but would be wary of hardware store bins.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    If you are replacing them remember that on is a SHOULDERED Bolt to insure proper alignment of the Cam Sprocket.
    I know... I have 4 of the shouldered bolts in my stash. I just need the other ones. By the way: with a degreeable sprocket the knock bolt is not really needed anyway.
    Last edited by Erwin; 06-10-2019 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I just looked at a Todd Henning racing sprocket, and the pic showed jdm? 10.9 bolts. Bolt depot described as automotive grade. I've no experience, but would be wary of hardware store bins.
    Where can I see that pic? I have the same adjustable THR sprocket. He forgot to include the bolts with my sprocket and he did not want to send them to me afterwards.

I find it hard to believe that those bolts are 10.9. Purely because of the advised torque. 12-15 ft/lbs is too much for 10.9 bolts. I asked THR about the exact hardness and he did not give an exact answer. He just said they were hardened. I was getting fed up asking him.

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin View Post
    Where can I see that pic? I have the same adjustable THR sprocket. He forgot to include the bolts with my sprocket and he did not want to send them to me afterwards.

I find it hard to believe that those bolts are 10.9. Purely because of the advised torque. 12-15 ft/lbs is too much for 10.9 bolts. I asked THR about the exact hardness and he did not give an exact answer. He just said they were hardened. I was getting fed up asking him.
    I wonder if some of the change overall coming from THR in the last couple years is a result of the father being further removed from the operation... I don't really know anything, but I recall slow and less-than-informative exchanges during the time I was first sourcing high-performance stuff for my 450 in the beginning. Long wait for responses, looked to be copy and paste answers sometimes - and virtually no follow-up, as if adding a new customer wasn't that important
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time

Budget drag bike project

Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin View Post

eBay auction

Jeeze, sounds like that guy doesn't give a flying you-know-what about customer service, or about how people review his business. Gotta say that's against the norm in the MC industry. Also a great way to alienate potential new or return customers. I guess sales figures and/or PR are of no concern to him. Oh well...

I happen to find myself currently in the position of needing a set of the correct cam bolts in question.

Is ebay my best bet? Or are there other places that I should be looking?

Based on what I've read above, it seems that it is unlikely that I will find replacement bolts of the correct grade at local hardware stores. I'm also somewhat wary of using "used" bolts that have been pulled from an engine of unknown milage and condition. Although I'm pretty sure that is exactly what I'll find on ebay...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Agreed on the used bolts. Here are the 2 different bolts on eBay (said to be NOS)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Hon...75.c1#viTabs_0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Hon...d=382650103885
    DieselKrampus likes this.
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time

Budget drag bike project

Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Awesome, thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links