73 CB 350 trans downshifts - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 73 CB 350 trans downshifts

I guess maybe it's a leftover from dirt bike riding/racing but I always downshift and engine brake my way thru the gears as I slow down.

It has nothing to do with saving brakes.
    I'll probaly never wear out a set of shoes on my little 350 they will last longer than me if the glue holds up.

I just like to be in an approaite gear for whatever speed I'm doing.
    You never know if that light ahead is going to turn Green and you can just keep on going.
    1970 CB 350 CAFE - Current Project on the bench,
    1972 CB 350 K4 Red - Now a Happy Rider ! !
    1972 CB 350 K4 Green (My Sons) DONE - YES !,
    1st Bike 1970 SL 350 (Brought home in Parts - Trailer/Trunk/Back Seat - I miss that bike),
    2nd - Bike Kawasaki 750
    3rd - '73 XLCH 1000

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    I just like to be in an approaite gear for whatever speed I'm doing.
    Exactly my thoughts - it's how I was taught to ride, but then again that was back when there were still many manual transmission vehicles in our daily lives, not just bikes
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    Never ridden a Suzuki of any size, but another bike that had a simple but effective and mostly issue-free gearbox was Hodaka. Ball-bearing locking design that engaged each gear chosen to the shaft while the others free-wheeled, with the only real wearout item being the ratchet arrangement in the left cover that moved the spindle that engaged the balls in each gear appropriately. Slick, simple and reliable for those small engines

https://hodaka-parts.com/92B_C.asp
    OK design, but there were some serious quality control issues when we sold them in the late sixties. For a while that steel "donut" on the shifter shaft, that pushes the balls out into the gears, wasn't properly hardened and would get dented by the pressure from the bearings and allow it to pop out of gear. No big deal, just strip it down to the bare cases to change the part. That donut was located on the shaft by two coil springs,one with a right hand spiral and one with a left hand spiral. I took one apart that had both springs the same, the one on the "wrong" side had unwound and the trans would no longer shift into gear. Strip down to cases again. On the plus side, they were easy to work on, you could take the whole thing apart and have it back together in a couple of hours and we always got paid for the warranty claims. Yamaha 80(YG1) had a similar setup with the works mounted in a casting surrounding the front sprocket, worked great until you threw the chain, we sold/welded up a ton of those shift brackets.
    '65 YG1
    '65 CB160
    '66 CL160
    '67 CL77
    '68 TR6
    '69 T100R
    '69 T120R
    '72 Commando 750
    '78 XS650E
    '79 Gl1000
    '81 440 LTD
    My company car is a Kenworth

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Yeah Mike, I hear you on the earlier design. My cousin and I sold them in the early '70s and we never saw any issues, though we did keep a couple of the left covers with ratchet mechanism in stock in case. Never knew the YG1 used a similar arrangement
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links