Clutch slipping
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Clutch slipping

Clutch slipping

Hi, I have a 1969 Honda CB175 with a clutch that slips at speeds over 45mph. Last summer I put new clutch springs in it. It still slips, just not quite as bad as it did before. So, I took it all apart again and now I am planning to replace the clutch plates and the friction plates. Has anyone had this problem before? I have no idea if replacing the plates will help...they appear to be in good condition. Thanks

Hi Boo,
    A few years ago, my 1983 Honda V65 Magna's clutch was slipping. I replaced the spring and the steel and friction plates that also looked good. No more slipping. The difference was amazing.
    Good luck
    Last edited by Six7390GT; 08-10-2019 at 06:00 PM.
    BooTheRoo likes this.

Did you try adjusting it first?

What brand and spec oil is in the engine? (Is the oil rated with a JASO-MA spec ?)
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 08-10-2019 at 06:02 PM.
    J-T and BooTheRoo like this.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Yes, we adjusted it according to the instructions the first time that we took it apart and put it back together, when we put the new springs in it. I think we just used the type of oil that the owner's manual specified...is there a kind of oil that you would recommend? What does JASO-MA mean? I called my friend but he didn't answer...he was with me when the oil was changed, and may remember what the type of oil was.
    Six7390GT likes this.

Thank you!

You cannot just use regular rmotor oil in these bikes since they have wet clutches. The oil must be JASO-MA rated.
    Modern motor oil contains friction modifiers that will cause the clutch to slip.
    Many here (myself included) use Rotella T4 oil since it's cheap and readily available.
    '76 CB500T Frankenbike
    '73 CL450 (basket case for now)

Carpe narem.

JASO MA is a certification and they print all of them on the back of the oil jug, that's where you can find whether the oil you are looking at will work with your clutch. No JASO MA = keep looking.
    1980 CB400T - 1 running, 1 parts bike
    1965 CB160 - 1 kind of running, 1 parts bike

I'm BooTheRoo's friend, Thomboz. I'm an old guy, quite experienced with motorcycles. So here is the low down. Boo bought the bike from a guy who said he rebuilt it. The clutch slipped when Boo 1st got it at about 40mph. We changed the oil with MC specific oil (wet clutch). We then adjusted the clutch... several times. Stock springs are no longer available, so I called Barnett. They do not have a listing for CB175s. Boo sent them the springs we have, they sent them back along with 4 more that are longer and stronger (at no charge, we love Barnett!). Now it goes maybe 45 before slipping.
    Do any of you know where we can buy the correct springs? I know people vintage race these buggers, so there must be info and parts. The plates appear to be in good condition, plenty of friction stuff left. If the previous owner put some super slippery synthetic car oil in it, could that be the cause? Next try is to clean up the plates, then try new ones.
    One more thing, previous owner overtightened cheap allen case bolts. (We got then out eventually using a #27 star bit with impact driver on the worst one.) Any source for clutch cover bolts? Thanks!
    One more thing, BooTheRoo just past the CHP endorsed Motorcycle Training Course by Total Control... congratulations are in order.

CMSNL.com has clutch springs for the 69 CB175.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    Gunnar

1972 CB450 K5
    1975 CB500T
    1972 CB450 K5 - in progress

Just put new friction plates in it and be done with it. The amount of wear on friction plates that can cause a combined loss of total thickness is small enough that a visual inspection often misleads... the steel plates are usually fine unless they're blued from high heat or obviously worn. New springs with old friction plates isn't usually enough to stop slippage

And yes - congrats to Boo. Time to get the bike rideable and start enjoying it while the summer is still here
    Chippe likes this.
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links