HondaTwins Forums

CB175 K6 Restored and finished

Thread: CB175 K6 Restored and finished

Tags: None

Richard_Pitman said:
    22,000 miles in 18 months on my first CB175, riding 10 miles to work and back again each day, then out again most evenings and weekends, plus 30 miles to college twice a week in term time. Totally reliable, only repairs needed after my several crashes on it. ( No other vehicles involved )
    1970 Honda CB175K4
    1972 Honda CL175K7
    1999 Honda CB600 Hornet

Richard_Pitman said:
    In this months Motor Cycle Mechanics mag, a CB175 K6 resto from a UK owner.

Just wondering if he is on here, under an alias ? Paging Tom Garland ?

Nice job, but he did cheat a bit, farmed a lot of work out to the professionals. And this is another paint job where the black panel / white stripe job on the tank just doesn't look quite right to me, tapers to a point at the seat end, a bit like the one on the bike that started this thread. Done by a professional painter, you'd think they would get this right.

His bike, pic taken from magazine via my phone camera

CB175 K6 Restored and finished-20190519_100521.jpg

For comparison, an original paint job:

CB175 K6 Restored and finished-20180514_144951.jpg CB175 K6 Restored and finished-20180514_145025.jpg

See how the black stripe doesn't taper to a point at the seat end ?

Darn it, I'm beginning to sound like a rivet counter here ….
    Last edited by Richard_Pitman; 05-19-2019 at 03:41 AM.
    1970 Honda CB175K4
    1972 Honda CL175K7
    1999 Honda CB600 Hornet

ancientdad said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Pitman View Post
    Darn it, I'm beginning to sound like a rivet counter here ….
    Not to me... after growing up with a professional body and paint guy, I completely understand what you see - and the bottom of the panel isn't parallel to the Honda emblem either, which is the first thing that jumps out at me. I agree, the painter missed the mark... but perhaps he didn't have an original to make a template of, which is often what my father did to be sure it was accurate

CB175 K6 Restored and finished-img_0581.jpg CB175 K6 Restored and finished-img_0582.jpg
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

CB175K6 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Pitman View Post
    Not wishing to be a smart alec, but those appear to be David Silvers pattern down pipes, ( angular bends ), which are only single skinned.

Bike looks great, BTW.

PS. You've left the petrol turned on ….
    Hi Richard, I am curious why you pointed out that the fuel was on. Should that be turned off when it is not being ridden? Thanks.
    1972 CB175 - Rebuilding

66Sprint said:
    Quote Originally Posted by CB175K6 View Post
    Hi Richard, I am curious why you pointed out that the fuel was on. Should that be turned off when it is not being ridden? Thanks.
    Only if you don't wish to have to rebuild the engine after the camshaft catastrophically fails from being lubed by fuel-thinned oil....

Here is the type of damage one might get running fuel-thinned oil : That whole grooved area between the small diameter shaft the advance seats on and the flange just outboard of the cam lobes should be a smooth cylinder....

You SHOULD turn off the petcock and the ignition key any time the engine is not running.........
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 05-19-2019 at 11:17 PM. Reason: add pic
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

CB175K6 said:
    Yeah thanks for posting that earlier Richard. I learned a few things, turn that thing off when the engine is off and turn to reserve when the engine is on.

Thanks guys!
    1972 CB175 - Rebuilding