lost ignition key
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: lost ignition key

lost ignition key

In the process of bringing a 1969 cd175a back to life and one of the problems I have is bike came with no key, and do not see any key code on the switch so just wondering what my option may be, and will I have to obtain a new switch with a key or try a lock smith witch would most likely cost more then a new switch with a key. Any suggestions out there?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F111550464399

Fairly inexpensive and easy fix here^^
    Good luck

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
    Knowledge can never be taken away from you!

that key code has to be there somewhere. if you do find it check here:
    Honda Keys.com Your source for NOS Honda Keys
    got a set here and they work perfect.
    Living It Up On The Down Side

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

According to my first google result, they key code is usually stamped on the face of the lock for Hondas of that era. Looking at eBay for NOS ignition switches that are supposed to be compatible shows that to be the case.

If so, a set of keys should be ten or twenty from eBay.

I dont know anything about your particular bike. If that is the only item using a key on your bike, just go with a new one. If you have a fork lock and seat lock, I'd get a new one key'd.

There are no numbers stamped on the face of ignition I will have check the fork lock face to see if anything is there. The new keyed ignition that match the one I have found on Ebay are about $90.00 from Malaysia and are NOS. So I guess if The steering lock is does not have a number I will try a locksmith and see if they can figure out a new key.

There was an article in Practical Sportsbike about this sort of thing a while back, how bikes often ended up with separate keys and locks for the seat, steering and ignition.

Their solution was to take one of the lock barrels out, insert a non matching key, see which tumbler pins didn't sit flush with lock body, then file the key until the pins all sat flush.

I've been meaning to have a go at this on my CL175, which has different keys for the seat and ignition, can't quite figure how above method would produce a key that worked two different locks.
    1970 Honda CB175K4
    1972 Honda CL175K7
    1999 Honda CB600 Hornet

Or file the "wards" down, a bit brutal but it works. If you have the barrel out with no damage, a good locksmith could make up a new key.

Number on the back of the switch unit??

Or file the "wards" down, a bit brutal but it works.
    Doh, of course. Modify the lock to fit the key, I see it now.
    1970 Honda CB175K4
    1972 Honda CL175K7
    1999 Honda CB600 Hornet

Often you can just swap the pin order an that way you only need to file a little.
    Just hold the key tightly in the tumbler when you file the bottom pins down to flush with the cylinder

Its not that tricky a job, I just rebuilt my house door locks to match a single key

Iirc when I did the same thing on my CD175 the locks are only 3 pins

If you need to open the lock to get it apart to rebuild it
    Get a Honda key from a similar vintage to the bike ( This will be the key you can rebuild the lock for latter
    Jiggle the new key in and out of the the lock rapidly while putting pressure on it as though you are turning it
    The pins will eventually get confused and line up enough for you to turn the key ( the fewer pins in a lock, and the closer your new key is to the shape of the lost key the easier this technique is)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links