lost ignition key - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: lost ignition key

Ok so I just went out to the shed and found a cb200 seat lock and rebuilt it to a mismatched key
    lost ignition key-dsc_0029.jpg
    That's the 'tools' you need

Gently pry up a corner of the brass strip and slide out ( I just used that rusty snapped off box cutter blade to do this)
    lost ignition key-dsc_0026.jpg
    This will expose the springs
    lost ignition key-dsc_0021.jpg
    If you turn the lock upside down you should end up with 3 Springs, 3 upper pins ( these are all the same short length) and 3 lower pins of various lengths
    Remove the split ring at the back of the tumbler
    You need to rotate the ring so that the split points down away from you and then pry the ring up ( I used the little screwdriver) lost ignition key-dsc_0022.jpg
    With everything apart put you key in the tumbler and re insert the lower pins( they either need to be flush or proud if they sit below the tumbler surface You either need a new pin or re order the pins lost ignition key-dsc_0023.jpg
    File the pins flush with the tumbler surface
    lost ignition key-dsc_0024.jpg
    Re assemble the tumbler, latch and split ring with the key in place then remove the key and push the upper pins as deeply in as the will go ( without the key there will be less pressure on the springs) put the springs back, flatten the brass strip and put it back in position ( it's staked in place so it needs to go back in the same orientation /position that it came from
    lost ignition key-dsc_0027.jpg
    Write down the key code as the one on the locks no longer valid and you're done
    Took about 15 minutes
    All three locks work on the same basic system

lost ignition key-dsc_0028.jpg
    That's a better picture of the key and lock with different codes

Thanks for that, I wondered how to that snap ring worked, I was beginning to wonder if it was one of those things that, once assembled, wouldn't come apart without irreparable damage. Similar with the brass strip, but as I'd just removed all pins regardless, didn't need to refit it.

My steering lock modification appears to have worked. I was able to swap the pins around to match the key. I filed down the staked areas that retained the brass strip, then used JB Weld for fix it into place.

Unlocked

lost ignition key-20181223_154008.jpg

Unlocked

lost ignition key-20181223_154024.jpg

The roll pin pulls out using vice grips, enabling the lock barrel to be withdrawn.
    1970 Honda CB175K4
    1972 Honda CL175K7
    1999 Honda CB600 Hornet

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Pitman View Post
    Thanks for that, I wondered how to that snap ring worked, I was beginning to wonder if it was one of those things that, once assembled, wouldn't come apart without irreparable damage. Similar with the brass strip, but as I'd just removed all pins regardless, didn't need to refit it.

My steering lock modification appears to have worked. I was able to swap the pins around to match the key. I filed down the staked areas that retained the brass strip, then used JB Weld for fix it into place.

Unlocked

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181223_154008.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	329.8 KB 
ID:	271594

Unlocked

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181223_154024.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	319.0 KB 
ID:	271596

The roll pin pulls out using vice grips, enabling the lock barrel to be withdrawn.
    Jb weld should work fine there's no real pressure from the springs
    Sorry I didn't do a write up earlier

Yep, the modded steering lock is now fitted and works a treat. One key for all the locks now.

For UK folks who want to get a spare key cut, I strongly recommend this chap. I've had two sets of keys cut by him now, both received by return of post ( Christmas Eve this set), keys work perfectly and are very reasonably priced.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-H...72.m2749.l2649
    1970 Honda CB175K4
    1972 Honda CL175K7
    1999 Honda CB600 Hornet

Check to see if a number is on the tree lock or the helmet lock..

Quote Originally Posted by mollieone View Post
    Check to see if a number is on the tree lock or the helmet lock..
    Hello new member, and Merry Christmas - since you're here now, please take a look at the link below and post an introduction so we can get to know you and your bike better in case you need help in the future

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/23...e-posting.html
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

There is a locksmith technique "impressioning" the lock. If you have a correct key blank (or two or three) and some patience it goes like this: lightly file the top of the keyblank to remove plating and expose the brass. Put the key in the lock and turn back and forth with a little force: the pins will make a slight shiny spot (impression) on the keyblank from the transferred force. Lightly file the marks and repeat the impressioning by putting the key back in the lock and turning a few times. Repeat this process several (many) times - when the pin is at the correct height the impression will be much less or negligible compared to non-aligned pins. Stop filing this location/pin at this point and keep going with the other ones. These locks are pretty crude/simple and will impression relatively easily compared to higher security/higher precision locks. I've done it a few times, even on cars, but it takes a while, getting it cut to code by a locksmith is definitely plan "A", or as others suggested if you can get it out and apart then replace or rearrange pins to fit your existing key.
    1968 CL175 K0 scrambler
    1975 RD350B
    1974 RD350B
    1974 DT100A
    1975 RD125B
    1974 S3 400 Mach II

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links