Cb160 Fork Covers, am I missing something?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ancientdad

Thread: Cb160 Fork Covers, am I missing something?

Cb160 Fork Covers, am I missing something?

I've been trying to get the chrome threaded on covers off for a week. So far I've tried the strap wrench + sticky rosin trick, the bearings and hose clamp trick, and I've made two versions of a tool from pipe with a drill, a vise and taps. The first had the handles bend out, and the second is thicker walled and pictured below, but I still can't get any movement.

Cb160 Fork Covers, am I missing something?-img_1791.jpg
    The large bolts are m8 and are the handles, the two smaller ones are m6 and have the tips ground to fit into the holes on the fork. I checked and I am not destroying the holes on the fork (bolts softer than the chrome?).

So my question is, am I correct that they are a normal thread and should unscrew lefty loosy towards the top of the fork? Do I just need more penetrating oil and torch heat cycling? Can I get these hot without worrying about warping them? I have new fork seals so damage to them is not a problem.
    1980 CB400T - 1 running, 1 parts bike
    1965 CB160 - 1 kind of running, 1 parts bike

Pretty sure they just unscrew. I'm stuck on this job too. Did you try a big pipe wrench? Maybe two to keep it centered easier?

They are right hand thread, your tool looks similar to the one I made:Cb160 Fork Covers, am I missing something?-001.jpg After about 50 years the sealer on those threads gets pretty solid, and things come apart hard. Try heating it ,as much as you dare, before you crank on it next time.
    '65 YG1
    '65 CB160
    '66 CL160
    '67 CL77
    '68 TR6
    '69 T100R
    '69 T120R
    '72 Commando 750
    '78 XS650E
    '79 Gl1000
    '81 440 LTD
    My company car is a Kenworth

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

I believe that picture was one of the ones I drew inspiration from. I will go with the heat option then.

I don't actually own a pipe wrench unfortunately. Maybe I could try getting help and using channel locks on the pipe, while also using the bolt handles.

I'm thinking last resort is to take the pipe to somewhere with a drill press, get them to drill 4 perfectly placed holes and weld some long thick handles on and see if that works

To update this, I had 4 holes drilled in the pipe and a bar welded onto it by a local metal shop. I then tapped the holes for m6 bolts and ground them down to fit the holes in the fork.

The first one came off with effort but ruined the threads on 3/4 bolts. I reground them and proceeded to the second.

It did not come off with effort until I extended the bar by putting tools into them to make them longer. But come apart it did and now it should be smooth sailing.
    Cb160 Fork Covers, am I missing something?-img_1875.jpg
    Mmm rusty fork seals
    Cb160 Fork Covers, am I missing something?-img_1876.jpg
    Taking offers on these original low mileage fork seals
    Cb160 Fork Covers, am I missing something?-img_1877.jpg
    Last edited by 80cb400t; 09-27-2019 at 08:32 PM.

Glad it worked out for you. Nice fork seal... didn't know they came in orange
    80cb400t likes this.
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time

Budget drag bike project

Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Sponsored Links