HondaTwins Forums

1972 CL175 Timing

Thread: 1972 CL175 Timing

Tags: None

patrickob17 said:

1972 CL175 Timing

Howdy Y'all,

So I just got done rebuilding my engine. I had to replace the camshaft, bearing, and contact points, and finally reassembled everything on the bike. Only now I realize I'm getting spark, I'm getting fuel, but I've messed up the timing. Can someone tell me what I need to do to set the timing? Thank you this has been a long process and I'm dying to get back out on the rode again.

Patrick

Bouska006 said:
    I don't know how much different the CL is, but I have a CB 360, and YouTube has an awesome video by Common Motor Collective on ignition timing.

Chrishale said:
    i have a 1969/70 cl175 K3 with the same problem if someone could shed some light .. manual states "f" mark points open ..Youtube states otherwise ..

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

J-T said:
    I can't imagine there would be you tube videos out there with inaccurate information, but, I suppose it is possible.

Maybe start by ensuring you are watching the Common Motor Collective version.

Do you have the Factory Service Manual?
    JT
    81 CM400T Under re-construction
    82 GL500

66Sprint said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrishale View Post
    i have a 1969/70 cl175 K3 with the same problem if someone could shed some light .. manual states "f" mark points open ..Youtube states otherwise ..
    Points should JUST break (open) at the F line alignment with the index line (Static or idle timing)...... Phone if you need to.......
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

Richard_Pitman said:
    I can't imagine there would be you tube videos out there with inaccurate information, but, I suppose it is possible.
    My thoughts exactly ….
    1970 Honda CB175K4
    1972 Honda CL175K7
    1999 Honda CB600 Hornet

ancientdad said:
    Quote Originally Posted by J-T View Post
    Maybe start by ensuring you are watching the Common Motor Collective version.
    as long as it's the one about setting points and timing on our twins, and not the one about DOHC 450 top end disassembly...
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing