Electrical system overload - '73 Honda CB350G
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Electrical system overload - '73 Honda CB350G

Electrical system overload - '73 Honda CB350G

Blowing fuses - but only when headlight is switched on and handlebars are steered to the extreme right limit.

Consequently - only riding bike in daylight, without headlight - where all other electrical components (turn signals/brake light/tail light/charging system) are fully operational.

Attempted to replace a coil - with replacement coil installed - no spark to plug. However, replacement coil got extremely overheated after repeated attempts to start. Reinstalled original coil - which works without overheating.

Removed gas tank for better access to wiring. With headlight on, and turning handlebars left and right to their limits, smoke emitted from connectors linking ignition switch to main wiring harness (actually partially melted both connectors). Also great heat generated from wires at front end of harness you could feel through the insulation/tape.

No fuse blown through all of this.

Any suggestions on tracking down the source of this short(s)?

Many thanks to all.

Sounds like you're fighting multiple issues.

1.) The headlight one is likely to be worn wires or exposed terminals. I would pay particular attention to the white wire that leads from the control to the low beam on the headlight.

2.) Have you read out the primary resistance on the new ignition coil? Sounds like it might be too low.

3.) Any wires that were smoking will need to be replaced. Even if they're functioning now, the copper will have gotten brittle from the heat and will need to come out.

4.) As a corollary, check your main fuse and be sure it's no bigger than 15 amp. The fuse should have blown during many of the instances you're describing above.
    Jummpr20 likes this.

Go to Sparck Moto and purchase a new harness with the updated regulator/rectifier. Install and be happy.

Your harness is shot and not worth the effort to repair with all the problems you describe let alone the problems you haven't discovered yet.
    Sonreir and Jummpr20 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

^ This

I replaced my crackly, patched up wiring harness with a reproduction one and I couldn't be happier.
    Sonreir likes this.
    1975 CB360T Cafe Project (Being rebuilt from crispy bits!) - Done-ish...now in maintenance mode
    2009 Suzuki VStrom 650
    1983 BMW R100RT

Thanks, gents. The kind words are much appreciated.

We're also offering a new basic refurbishment kit that includes the harness, R/R, and flasher relay.

Honda 350 Basic Refurb Kit - Sparck Moto

The OP should also replace the key switch if the connectors melted.

I'd be suspect of any other switch as well.

Thanks for all the great feedback - I'll follow through on all of this and post the results

Have one on order - thanks!

Have this on order - will get back to this thread once it arrives - thanks for the help and knowledge...

Thanks! On order now...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links