Rust holes in CB200t Scrambler Exhaust - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Rust holes in CB200t Scrambler Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by jakec View Post
    I just discovered a similar area of rust on the underside of the top muffler on my 350. The hole is about the size of a half dollar. I tried to use exhaust tape but the pressure blew it right off after about 30 seconds.
    Oh wow that's a pretty good size hole. Yeah I don't know if JB weld alone would tackle a patch that big. Do you weld?
    75' Honda CB200t

Vintage or Bust

I don't. But I have an exhaust shop near me and I think I can take it there.
    1975 CB400 F0 Stock
    1974 CB550 K0 Chopper
    1970 CL350 K2 Stock

I took it into the shop today and they said they couldn't weld it because it would fall apart under the arc. I guess I am gona have to try JB weld.

Rust holes in CB200t Scrambler Exhaust-img_8997.jpg
    1975 CB400 F0 Stock
    1974 CB550 K0 Chopper
    1970 CL350 K2 Stock

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jakec View Post
    I took it into the shop today and they said they couldn't weld it because it would fall apart under the arc. I guess I am gona have to try JB weld.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8997.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	736.1 KB 
ID:	288200
    I have to wonder if it's only too thin at the edge of the corroded area. I would think you could oversize the patch enough to weld it to an area with thicker stock. At any rate, if you have to JB weld, I would think you would need something to hold the JB Weld in place for a hole that size, or the JB weld will just continue to collapse into the hole. Maybe you could purchase a loose weave fiberglass matt (not chopped or continuous strand).

1. Rough up the area around the hole so the JB weld has better bonding.
    2. Thoroughly coat the back side of the fiberglass mat with JB weld (same as if you were doing fiberglass and resin).
    3. Apply the mat with the JB Weld coated side down
    4. Then begin to thoroughly press additional JB Weld into the matt with a plastic putty knife. It may require a couple additional coats to cover the grid texture caused by the matt, as well as some final sanding once all coats are complete.

*I'm not sure just how hot fiberglass mat can get before breaking down, but once the JB weld cures, it shouldn't matter if the mat breaks down, as the JB weld is what comprises the structural "shell".

Some of the senior members with more experience may be able to tell you if this is a viable solution. I have never used this technique myself, but if I was facing your problem, that's probably what I would try.

Best of luck!
    75' Honda CB200t

Vintage or Bust

That's a good idea. I read that aluminum can might not be strong enough. People in other threads have said to try sheet stock and JB weld. I'm not sure how a 100% JB weld patch would hold up. Maybe someone can weigh in.
    1975 CB400 F0 Stock
    1974 CB550 K0 Chopper
    1970 CL350 K2 Stock

I did JB weld "steel stik" (not the high temp stuff) and it worked for about a week but just fell off today.
    1975 CB400 F0 Stock
    1974 CB550 K0 Chopper
    1970 CL350 K2 Stock

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links