Fuel and oil additives?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Fuel and oil additives?

Fuel and oil additives?

Hi all, do any of you use fuel and/or oil additives in your bikes? I do use 90 octane ethanol free gas, but Im hearing an additive might help. I have a 1972 CL175 scrambler. Fuel and oil additives?-img_1468.jpg

welcome!
    Our bikes came out before the major changes to gasoline so they are sensitive to these changes. When I owned my 450 I used 93 premium and always added Sta-Bil. My W650 can run on 87 but I maintain the habit of running 93 with Sta-bil. no issues on either bike.
    The Honda carb passages are tiny and clog easily while the W has not required a carb cleaning 4,000 mi into my ownership. Previous owner maintained the same, but I attest this to the fact the 'Love Dub' is more modern. ha ha.
    You don't need an oil additive for the Honda but I stress to change the oil every 800-1,000 mi. be on top of it! Lots of us run Rotella and have had success. I run it in my W.

cheers!
    Marcus17 likes this.

Thx for response and a +1 for shell rotella. How about sea foam instead of sta bil?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

I use and prefer Seafoam to Stabil added to 87 octane ethanol free in my vintage Hondas. Seven years of following this I haven’t had fuel problems and my bikes can sometimes sit without use for months from time to time.
    Runners
    1971 Triumph Tiger
    1972 CL350
    1974 XL350
    1974 CB450

Current Project
    1966 CB450 Black Bomber

seafoam will work but generates more smoke when running. One of our gurus, sensei steve(sprint66) said seafoam can cause buildup on the jets...at least I think he said that. ha ha ha

Ok clear as mud now....lol. Has anyone tried marvel mystery oil in oil or gas?

Quote Originally Posted by jseconds77 View Post
    seafoam will work but generates more smoke when running. One of our gurus, sensei steve(sprint66) said seafoam can cause buildup on the jets...at least I think he said that. ha ha ha
    I have to say I have not experienced either of those issues with the regular use of Seafoam. I did experience problems in lawn equipment after several years of using Sta-bil which is what led me to make a switch. Perhaps Steve will come along and impart his wisdom upon this subject. I have not used mystery oil as an additive but I do like to use it for other things from time to time.
    Runners
    1971 Triumph Tiger
    1972 CL350
    1974 XL350
    1974 CB450

Current Project
    1966 CB450 Black Bomber

The main ingredient in Seafoam is naptha, a cleaning solvent. Some of the Goldwing guys swear by the use of ATF, a few ounces in each tankful, keeps the carbs clean and seems to slightly increase gas mileage & compression numbers.
    '65 YG1
    '65 CB160
    '66 CL160
    '67 CL77
    '68 TR6
    '69 T100R
    '69 T120R
    '72 Commando 750
    '78 XS650E
    '79 Gl1000
    '81 440 LTD
    My company car is a Kenworth

ATF is good to pour down the throat of carbs on automobiles, used to do it all the time back when I drag raced.

Haven't tried it on my bikes, but seafoam is the stuff I use on a regular basis nowadays.

Works great in lawn equipment.
    "If it ain't raining, I'm riding......"

Work in process:::::::

I use StarTron in all of my small engines. It really helps keep the fuel system clean. My wife has a 150 CC Chinese scooter that would not start after a week of inactivity, and would take a disassembly to fix it. I've been using Startron for about a year, and have not had any issues with it.
    The link is below. It's kind of spendy, but i think its worth it.

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment
    CT70 Gone but not forgotten
    1971 CL175 Current project

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links