Fuel and oil additives? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Fuel and oil additives?

Quote Originally Posted by DieselKrampus View Post
    Forgot to add, if you live in an area where there are Wawa convenience stores/gas stations.... *DO NOT GET GAS THERE!*

I have confirmed by speaking with people who work for Wawa, that they sell inferior gas and readily admit to diluting it down in the name of profit margins.

Great convenience stores, horrible gasoline.

You have been warned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
    You may have had that experience where you are, but I can tell you with certainty that any of the Wawa stations near us that I've bought gas from for both my car and my wife's pickup have been no problem to date, and their price is always as cheap as pretty much anyone with the possible exception of Sam's Club. It could simply be that the management of the Wawa in your area is bending the rules... but that would never happen in America - would it?
    DieselKrampus likes this.
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    You may have had that experience where you are, but I can tell you with certainty that any of the Wawa stations near us that I've bought gas from for both my car and my wife's pickup have been no problem to date, and their price is always as cheap as pretty much anyone with the possible exception of Sam's Club. It could simply be that the management of the Wawa in your area is bending the rules... but that would never happen in America - would it?
    Bending the rules in America? Not a chance!
    You may also have the benefit of Wawa's being a somewhat new kid on the block in FL. I remember not too long ago they only existed in the Mid-Atlantic region, and even then, if you strayed too far south, all you could find were Sheetz stores. I think that Wawa management in tri-state region has become too fat and comfortable with their large share of the market, but that would never happen up the corporate ladder in America, would it?

ancientdad likes this.

Nah... no other big company - oh that's right... big pharma, big oil, big auto, big utilities... nevermind
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

The wife decided to get herself a Costco gas card. First tankful, it ran like crap and started missing at idle and turning the check engine on. 75 psi compression in one cylinder(burnt #5 exhaust valve), last time we bought gas there.
    '65 YG1
    '65 CB160
    '66 CL160
    '67 CL77
    '68 TR6
    '69 T100R
    '69 T120R
    '72 Commando 750
    '78 XS650E
    '79 Gl1000
    '81 440 LTD
    My company car is a Kenworth

I'll stick with my top 3 brands at this point hahaha.
    1. Shell
    2. Sunoco
    3. Valero (usually the cheapest prices for diesel also)

Yep, Sam's and Malwarts have the sh1ttiest gas. My wife's van would not run worth a crap on that gas...........never go to those gas stations again.
    Last edited by budlite282; 08-14-2019 at 05:17 AM.
    "If it ain't raining, I'm riding......"

Work in process:::::::

I have 3 stations within about 4 miles of the house that sell non-ethanol gas, two to the west and one to the east. One has 93, one has 91, and one has 87, so it's pretty easy to keep non-ethanol gas in my bikes. On longer rides that require gas stops, I'm usually stuck using E-10, though. I try to run most of it out on the way home and fill up with the good stuff before parking it, though.

Fuel and oil additives?-img_5657.jpg
    1969 Honda CL350
    1983 H-D XLX-61 Sportster

Some Hondas like the 350 twins required 91 octane for the high compression. Gas back then had lead to lube the valves. What about a lead substitute?

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

9.5 to 1 is not considered high compression these days. However, the original CB250/350 Owners and service manuals call for 95 octane minimum. This is most likely a Research Octane Number (RON). US pump octane (Anti-Knock Index - AKI) ratings are 4 to 6 points below a RON rating. Therefore 87-89 octane (AKI) should be adequate. Since these old engines have no knock sensors and being air-cooled run hotter that modern engines, using 91 is the correct solution. As for fuel additives, every 5 tanks or so I will add a bit of Techron in the tank, particularly when I can't get "Top Tier" gas. Techron is actually a fuel injection cleaner but it helps keep the fuel passages, valves and combustion chambers clean in non-FI engines.

For lubrication, since it is a motorcycle, I use oil made for motorcycles, specifically Castrol Actevo https://www.castrol.com/en_cc/ccsa/p...ls/actevo.html
    Last edited by Flycast47; 08-17-2019 at 01:10 PM.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

1971 CB350 K3 RestoMod - in process
    1991 XR200R
    1997 XR250R
    2017 Yamaha WR250R

Not getting crazy but I try to purchase gas from the same 3 spots on my usual riding routes. My w650 can run on 87 but like my 450, I just run 93 with sta-Bil and don’t ever let the tank get below half....served me well.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsored Links