Fuel and oil additives? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Fuel and oil additives?

I highly recommend Pure Gas for finding non-ethanol fuels. If you follow the link Jim provided and look on the right hand side of the page you will see links to download the app to IPhone and Android. Over the past 5 years I have found the app easy to use and reliable for finding non-ethanol while out riding no matter where I have been
    Runners
    1971 Triumph Tiger
    1972 CL350
    1974 XL350
    1974 CB450

Current Project
    1966 CB450 Black Bomber

^^^and I just learned of a station at a new Circle K store (not that near me, but near enough) where I can get ethanol-free 93 octane for the little red monster... and for the budget drag bike too, eventually
    83XLX likes this.
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

I sometimes buy AVGas (120 octane or so) from the local airports when get a chance.
    It's a little more expensive at $5/gallon

Otherwise it's just 91 octane, sometimes with lead additive added.

I have never used anything in my oil though.
    '76 CB500T Frankenbike
    '73 CL450 (basket case for now)

Carpe narem.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Where I am located, I can get 87 Octane that's ethanol free. I know the higher octane (91) is recommended, but when your only options are 87 (ethanol free) or 91 (with ethanol) which is the lesser of two evils? Oh and my bike is a 1975 CB200t.
    Thanks!

Ethanol free is always better for these old bikes.
    Will you notice a performance difference between non-eth 87 vs eth 91? Probably not.
    '76 CB500T Frankenbike
    '73 CL450 (basket case for now)

Carpe narem.

Ethanol free is a bit harder to find where I am in Southeast PA, but we do have the nice advantage of readily available 93 octane (with ethanol ) at most Shell and Sunoco stations in the area. That is what I typically run in the 350. I have experimented with a few fuel additives, namely octane boosters and lead substitutes, but any real world differences in performance or mpgs have so far been negligible. So, as it is, I just run the 93 with a bit of StaBil and call it good. Might try to switch to SeaFoam (have used it previously in my cars, both gas and diesel) based on some of the reviews here, and see how that goes.

As for oil, I always run Rotella in both my bike and my old diesel Mercedes, at the manufacturer specified viscosity. Never had any issues with it. Used to be a die-hard Mobil1 oil guy in my E36 BMW and KTM supermoto days, but I think Rotella is just as good if not better for these older engines.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Forgot to add, if you live in an area where there are Wawa convenience stores/gas stations.... *DO NOT GET GAS THERE!*

I have confirmed by speaking with people who work for Wawa, that they sell inferior gas and readily admit to diluting it down in the name of profit margins.

Great convenience stores, horrible gasoline.

You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by 76TWIN View Post
    Ethanol free is always better for these old bikes.
    Will you notice a performance difference between non-eth 87 vs eth 91? Probably not.
    Good to know, I figured that would be the case. I'm not really concerned with the performance so much as giving the old bike what's best for it. I have been running the 87 ethanol free w/ 1oz per gal of SeaFoam additive. I live in the middle of KNOWHERE in a tiny town near Mineral Wells, Texas and the one gas station in our town (which is the only business in our town) happens to have the ethanol free, so I feel like I really lucked out there! Thanks for the advise!
    Last edited by TheFreeRenegade; 08-12-2019 at 09:26 PM.
    75' Honda CB200t

Vintage or Bust

Quote Originally Posted by DieselKrampus View Post
    Ethanol free is a bit harder to find where I am in Southeast PA, but we do have the nice advantage of readily available 93 octane (with ethanol ) at most Shell and Sunoco stations in the area. That is what I typically run in the 350. I have experimented with a few fuel additives, namely octane boosters and lead substitutes, but any real world differences in performance or mpgs have so far been negligible. So, as it is, I just run the 93 with a bit of StaBil and call it good. Might try to switch to SeaFoam (have used it previously in my cars, both gas and diesel) based on some of the reviews here, and see how that goes.

As for oil, I always run Rotella in both my bike and my old diesel Mercedes, at the manufacturer specified viscosity. Never had any issues with it. Used to be a die-hard Mobil1 oil guy in my E36 BMW and KTM supermoto days, but I think Rotella is just as good if not better for these older engines.

Thanks to the recommendations on here, I have also been running the Rotella Large Diesel Oil as well. I used the Pure Gas app that they mentioned above (for finding gas stations with ethanol free gas), and there were actually several other towns on their map that were within riding distance of me. You might give that a try if you haven't already. I just searched South East Penn. and there seems to be a lot of locations listed, though I'm not sure if there are any super close to your exact location.
    75' Honda CB200t

Vintage or Bust

Quote Originally Posted by TheFreeRenegade View Post
    Thanks to the recommendations on here, I have also been running the Rotella Large Diesel Oil as well. I used the Pure Gas app that they mentioned above (for finding gas stations with ethanol free gas), and there were actually several other towns on their map that were within riding distance of me. You might give that a try if you haven't already. I just searched South East Penn. and there seems to be a lot of locations listed, though I'm not sure if there are any super close to your exact location.
    Punching my zip code into the app yielded only one result, and it happens to be a Sunoco right down the road from my house, just not the one that I usually frequent. Go figure. I guess I'll have to check it out next weekend when I'm back in town. Good tip, thanks!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links