Fuel and oil additives? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Fuel and oil additives?

I use 2 Stroke Oil, TCW3 designation, in my bikes, carb and FI, and in my cars FI and GDI.

Works better than stabil etc in my experience and doesn't smoke or smell like some of the other products do which is especially true in our convertible more so than the bikes.

Couple ounces in a MC tank and all is good.

Fuel these days is very dry compared to years ago and ethanol is the worst thing for older vehicles .... newer ones too but that can be a touchy subject.

Throttle was pretty choppy just off idle on my cb450, I put a little seafood in the last few tanks and it seems to have helped.

Edit: sea FOAM!
    ancientdad and DieselKrampus like this.

^^^shrimp? lobster? damn autocorrect!
    12ozPBR, Rob Axel, Lefty and 1 others like this.
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Ha ha!!! You got that one quick!

Just in the right place... well, a LOT of the time
    Lefty and DieselKrampus like this.
    Tom

LMAO @ seafood
    Lefty and DieselKrampus like this.
    '76 CB500T Frankenbike
    '73 CL450 (basket case for now)

Carpe narem.

I have found from experience it isn’t JUST the additive .. it’s the FUEL.. each state is different, additives, standards, cleanliness, and ethanol. Years ago my wife’s car was “knocking”.. did some research and multiple mechanics informed me to “go over the bridge and get some good gas.. see if it helps”.. South Carolina’s worst gas is better quality that Georgia’s best gas.. Didn’t help her car much, it was the mas airflow sensor..
    Locally I use ethanol free with stabil.. I use it in all my small motors and will swear by it.. kinda hard to argue with leaving a riding mower out in the elements all winter, spring arrived, charged the battery and have it fire right up and idle with no issues!!
    "Yes, my hands and nails have grease stains. I ride vintage!"
    -xulf13-

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Axel View Post
    Years ago my wife’s car was “knocking”
    Wait! Your wife drives a CAR...?? okay, I guess it does rain in GA sometimes...
    Tom

I did preface it with “years ago..”. I don’t think we even owned any motorcycles at the time..wow, come to think of it.. it was quite a few years ago..
    ancientdad likes this.
    "Yes, my hands and nails have grease stains. I ride vintage!"
    -xulf13-

Modern fuels are a PIA. I just got back from 1500 miles on the GL1200 in Eastern Oregon. Most of the gas stations sell 91 Octane Ethanol Free. The bike ran really good on it and got over 41 MPG. Sometimes we could only get E10 and the bike got around 36 MPG on it. Since we were did many mountain passes over 5,000 feet it was hard to tell the power differences between the two fuels, but the Ethanol free was nice to have. In this area the gas stations can be pretty far between and have that extra 20-25 miles range in the tank just added a little comfort. The owner's manual for my '72 450 says the bike can run on 87 Octane, but it will pre-ignition (ping) on 87 Octane E-10. We have a middle grade 89 Octane in our area and it runs fine on that. Again, 91 Octane Ethanol Free is available at a few places near me and the 450 runs great on it with an improved gas mileage. A list of Ethanol free gas stations for Canada and the US can be found at Pure Gas.

The oil situation is a little different. Hondas were designed to be sold world wide. At the time when they were new there was a lot of variation in motor oils around the world. One thing we all know is how bad modern friction reducing oils are for a wet clutch. Many opt for the JASCO graded MA motorcycle oils. This is a safe choice, but it does cost more money. Modern Diesel oils will work fine. Some use Shell Rotella or Chevron Delo at the specified viscosity. The main thing that has changed since our bikes were new was the elimination of Zinc and Phosphorus in the oils. These oil components help with startup lubrication and break in. They also reduce tappet wear. I don't use additives, although I probably should. Hemmings Daily has a great article on the subject.
    Jim Palmer
    '85 GL1200I (Garage Find)
    '81 GL1100 STD (Project)
    CB450 K5 Done
    https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-...s-cb450k5.html
    What I learned from Restoring a CB450 K5
    Watch Mike and Jim Take on Mt Erie Washington State
    "If everything seems under control you are not going fast enough" Mario Andretti...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links