CB160 Float Heigth

CB160 Float Heigth

I have searched the web and the site for an explanation on setting float level on a slopper. The manual says to “the carb should be upside down and slid horizontally” and the pic shows measuring the height at an angle. I consider myself a fairly sharp person but I’m not sure what is the best way to measure to set correctly

CB160 Float Heigth-71a26f24-8291-4632-9ae9-5089512b9a75.jpg

Hold carb so gasket surface is vertical/perpendicular...(slide bore horizontal)... Float pivot pin at top.....

Rotate carb until float tang JUST touches the "spring-pin" of the shut-off needle, but does not compress it....

Hold it THERE, (which will be approximately the pictured angle) and measure the float height.....

Note that the actual angle is dependent on how much the tang is bent out/up......

I use the central "slip" of my verniers, but a small rule works fine.....
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 03-23-2019 at 10:40 AM.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."

Is this measurement taken from the gasket face (without the gasket ) or the outer edge of the carburettor, and tell me again what is the correct hight 19mm 19.5 or 20mm thank you .Pete

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

I show 19.5mm from the top of the float to the carb body for the PW22 carb that is on my CB160

I do not wish to hijack the thread, but why does my 160 carbs leak from the float chamber ( not from the over flow pipe ) I have checked the over flow pipe and it is clear Thank you Pete

when you say carb body do you mean from the edge of the carb or the gasket surface ?

Gasket surface of the carb...... The 19mm figure roughly accounts for the ~.5mm crushed gasket that's stuck on there.....
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."

big pete, is your carb leaking around the bowl gasket area? If so, I had the same issue on my left carb even after installing a new gasket. I bent the bail wire that holds the bowl to the carb body slightly to increase the pressure on the bowl and it still wanted to seep a little. I ended up putting a very small amount (and I mean very small amount) of black gasket sealer on both side of the gasket and it sealed right up.

As a rule I never use any kind of a gasket sealer on a carb but I had one bowl giving me fits so I broke my rule. I figured it was a thin enough amount that I should have no trouble getting the bowl back off when. It might tear the gasket but I always have a spare laying around.
    1965 Honda CB160

Thank you both very much for your replies It does seem strange that the carbs never leak from the overflow pipe ,so i may well try the gasket sealer .

Since the carbs are mounted at an angle, it appears to me that at proper float height, the fuel level is sitting right at the front edge of the bowl so it would have a chance to leak there before the fuel got to the overflow port.
    1965 Honda CB160

Sponsored Links