1969 CB160 Counter Shaft oil seal removal?

1969 CB160 Counter Shaft oil seal removal?

How does the Counter Shaft oil seal get removed?

- Sprocket is off.
    - Before I drained the oil, it was seeping from the center of the seal that wraps around the counter shaft.

- I have the shop manual which doesn't explain the how.
    - I have the original Parts Catalog, which at least gives me an exploded diagram.

Please tell me this doesn't involve engine removal and tear down.

Here are a couple pics that show the seal.
    * The engine shot is reversed for some reason. I pulled it from a restoration thread. But you can see the seal right behind the still attached front sprocket.

Thank you.

Owen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1969 CB160 Counter Shaft oil seal removal?-160-open-engine-2-22-10.jpg   1969 CB160 Counter Shaft oil seal removal?-160-counter-shaft-oil-seal-outer-2-22-10.jpg   1969 CB160 Counter Shaft oil seal removal?-160-counter-shaft-oil-seal-inner-2-22-10.jpg  

Re: 1969 CB160 Counter Shaft oil seal removal?

Your "engine shot' is NOT reversed...It's the underside view of the top half.....
    As you can see from your new seal, you somehow have to grab the metal cup and pull it out....
    I carefully drill a bunch of small holes and use hooked impliments (bent screwdriver, picks) to pry/wobble it out...others use sheet metal screws and vice grips to pull it.....The important thing is to not damage the shaft, bearing or casting so the new seal will actually seal...You can trash the old seal to remove it... Make sure to clean the area before installing new seal, then just tap it squarely in...
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

Be sure to lube your shaft and the inner opening of the seal before installing the new one..

GB
    Doh!

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Holy s#*t!

I couldn't tell in the picture that the oil seal had a metal piece built into it. I started to peel away the rubber, saw that there was metal behind it, but figured that it was part of the bearing.

Awesome!

Thank you.

Owen

Piece of cake.

After days of penetrating oil. Screws and vice grips. Little drill bits. Bigger drill bits. Even bigger drill bits. Screw drivers. Hooks.
    It came down to a blower dryer to heat things up and a coat hanger (which also doubles nicely as a spring puller, the coat hanger not the blow dryer). Sitting on the ground, coat hanger threaded through a couple holes, both feet up on the motorcycle so it wouldn't tip over on me, one good pull, and POP.

Check the pics. (for whatever reason the "after" photo is at the top and the "before" pic is at the bottom)

Thanks for the help and ultimately permission to do some damage to the 41 year old oil seal, it lived a good long life.

Owen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1969 CB160 Counter Shaft oil seal removal?-160-countershaft-oil-seal-before.jpg   1969 CB160 Counter Shaft oil seal removal?-160-countershaft-oil-seal-screws.jpg   1969 CB160 Counter Shaft oil seal removal?-160-countershaft-oil-seal-holes.jpg   1969 CB160 Counter Shaft oil seal removal?-160-countershaft-oil-seal-coat-hanger.jpg   1969 CB160 Counter Shaft oil seal removal?-160-countershaft-bearing.jpg  

I split the cases to replace my countershaft and clutch rod seals and while I was there I thoroughly cleaned my engine's insides and inspected my transmission & shift forks.
    I find it absolutely amazing the bullet proof quality of a Honda Twin bottom end.
    Ray #1 The Olderslowerspider
    Formerly The Fasterspider
    You must have bumped your head
    1966 CT90K0 Trail 90
    1972 CT90K4 Trail 90
    1979 CBX

Sponsored Links