HondaTwins Forums

Blown Head Gasket or Something Else? - 1972 CB175

Thread: Blown Head Gasket or Something Else? - 1972 CB175

Tags: None

CB175K6 said:

Blown Head Gasket or Something Else? - 1972 CB175

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum, new to owning a vintage bike (haven't owned a bike for over 20 years) and just relocated to a new area. Here is what happened I have wanted a classic bike for years and living in a new town decided I would finally find one to pass the time by riding after work. I was looking for one to just putz around my small town with and after weeks of looking on craigslist this cool little CB175 popped up. I went over after work, talked to the owner for awhile and took it for a drive. Everything seemed really nice for such an old bike but needed a lot of cosmetic work at some point. Didn't care about that as my plan was to cruise around this summer and fall and come winter it would give me a good project to work on.

So the last couple days I have been driving it around not far from the house and only going a few miles. This afternoon it was really nice out and figured I would go for a 20 - 30 mile ride. Everything went great until I was a mile from home. All of a sudden it really started to bog down. Didn't want to go over 40mph at all. So I didn't push it and figured I would get it home and take a look at it. Maybe spark plug, some bad gas... Well I didn't have time. I got to a stop sign and all of sudden it started running really rough, backfired and made a load puffing or hissing sound then stalled. I sat and waited for a while thinking about what to do, push it, drive it, leave it and come back with my jeep and try to get it. I thought maybe it was just a freak thing and figured I would drive it home. It fired right up but I took it very slow and once I pulled in the driveway I let the RPM's drop below 1500 and it died and coasted in. Went inside to grab a water and came out a few mins later and there was a small puddle of oil under the bike. And now it seems like the left cylinder is not firing correctly, there is basically no flow through the exhaust on that side.

Sorry for the long post, has anyone had anything like this happen and if so please Help. Sorry I probably left some things out. Thanks
    Last edited by CB175K6; 05-18-2019 at 08:23 PM.

66Sprint said:
    Please phone me.....540-525-5199......There are a few questions I need the answers to before final diagnosis.....Steve

CB175K6 said:
    Thanks Steve, when?
    1972 CB175 - Rebuilding

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

66Sprint said:
    Now if you want...

CB175K6 said:
    Its a little late here, dont want to wake anyone in my little house. Maybe I can answer your questions on the forum until tomorrow?
    1972 CB175 - Rebuilding

66Sprint said:
    Going out of town tomorrow......They'll hear you from the garage?....You need to be at the bike.....We won't be starting it.....

CB175K6 said:
    What are you thinking it might be Steve?
    1972 CB175 - Rebuilding

66Sprint said:
    You may phone now.....

CB175K6 said:
    Hello Steve, here is the picture of the crack inside the left carb and the little 175.

Last edited by CB175K6; 05-25-2014 at 03:54 PM.
    1972 CB175 - Rebuilding

CB175K6 said:
    The previous owner I bought the bike from evidently made these videos for youtube. Basically of him doing some work on it, some mechanical restoration. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...7MNaot8F5bg-P3

Here are the photos of the piston looking through the spark plug hole. Piston - Imgur
    Last edited by CB175K6; 05-25-2014 at 09:20 PM.
    1972 CB175 - Rebuilding