Blown Head Gasket or Something Else? - 1972 CB175 - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Blown Head Gasket or Something Else? - 1972 CB175

Thanks ancientdad. That's what I did and it appeared as though one side wasn't seated correctly. The idle screw needs to be tightened somewhat in order to seat the jet correctly it seems.
    Last edited by CB175K6; 07-22-2019 at 11:24 PM.
    1972 CB175 - Rebuilding

Got most issues sorted out.

The carbs were the biggest problem and had to take a step by step approach as multiple things were out of adjustment. 1. The cables were not routed correctly, with the handlebars turned to the right the bike would rev. Rerouted the the cable through the middle of the handlebar through the little metal bracket closest to the the pivot point. Problem fixed, thanks Sprint66. 2. The carbs were way out of adjustment and were letting way too much air in. Turned the adjustments all the way back down and then turned out 1.25 turns and then made little adjustments from there. Now idles at 1200 after it warms up. 3. Put on clear gas lines from petcock to carb to see if they were getting fuel consistently. They were not getting enough fuel when the petcock is in straight down position, but when turned to reserve it does. Hmm. Could be either there was not enough fuel in the tank or the petcock needs to be replaced or cleaned. Either way works fine in reserve position.

Brake light was as easy as adjusting the switch right above the pedal connect to the brake. It was too tight and the brake light was always on which I thought was the tail light. As I adjusted it counter clockwise (I believe) the light dimmed. I pushed the pedal and the brake handle, both worked. Adjusted it a little more to the correct sensitivity. Done

Got new clamps for the exhaust pipes and wrapped them with heat shield. Sounds much better not perfect but better. Pretty loud still, kinda sounds like a HD. Wish it was quieter but will work for now.

Clutch was way out of adjustment as well. I put the bike on the center stand, turned it on and put it in first gear but had a hard time getting into 2nd. It was just a matter of adjusting it at the bottom and then finer adjustment at the handle grip. Now it goes through the gears easily and stays in gear.

For now it seems to be working very nicely. There is a bit of smoke coming out of the pipes but I have read that when the top end gets completely redone (valve job, new pistons & rings & honed) there is a brake end period and will sometimes experience a little smoke. We'll see...

Took it for a 20 mile ride yesterday to get no ethanal fuel and it drove beautifully. Pulled up big hills with ease.

Thanks for all the help on this one guys.
    1972 CB175 - Rebuilding

Last edited by CB175K6; 08-06-2019 at 10:05 PM.
    1972 CB175 - Rebuilding

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Sponsored Links