Cl175 clutch sticks after riding for about 20 min
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By 66Sprint
  • 2 Post By mike in idaho
  • 1 Post By Curmudgeon At Large

Thread: Cl175 clutch sticks after riding for about 20 min

As the title states... my cl175 shifts and runs great until about 20 to 30 min into riding. Then if I am at a light or stopped, when I release the clutch lever, the cable seems stuck and will not engage. Then after about 5 seconds it will snap into place and kill the engine.

It is pretty hot here in TX, about 95 to 100 degrees when I have been riding. Maybe that is part of the issue?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Sounds like either the cable needs to be lubed or replaced, or the mechanism that pushes the clutch rod in the front sprocket cover needs to be lubed with a little grease or replaced. The way the cable is routed could also be a factor, if it's too close to the engine or exhaust in some areas it might be getting hotter than usual. Our temps here in FL are about the same and my 450 cable will stretch a little after it gets hot creating a little more lever movement than usual, but it never sticks because of it
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time

Budget drag bike project

Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Check that you have good ground connections to the headlight cluster of wiring.....(Green wiring)
    I have seen bikes where the clutch cable acted as a replacement and constant ground, and would get hot enough to get "sticky" after awhile when actuating the clutch lever......
    ancientdad likes this.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

I readjusted and lubed the clutch last night and it definitely felt better. But I will also be checking the ground this weekend when I get some more time. Thanks for the advice from you both.

If it sticks again reach down and give a quick pull on the cable housing,where it enters the engine. If you can pull some slack there, you know the cable is free to move and the clutch lifter is binding. If you can't pull any slack, then the cable itself must be binding.
    ancientdad and bsteinkuehler like this.
    '65 YG1
    '65 CB160
    '66 CL160
    '67 CL77
    '68 TR6
    '69 T100R
    '69 T120R
    '72 Commando 750
    '78 XS650E
    '79 Gl1000
    '81 440 LTD
    My company car is a Kenworth

Senior Member Curmudgeon At Large's Avatar
    When mine started to stick after putting the bike on the road after sitting for years, I took the lever end off, fished it back through the frame so I could hold the lever end upright then dripped 3 in 1 oil slowly down the cable interior--that really freed it up. Then greased the clutch arm fitting and felt a significant improvement.
    bsteinkuehler likes this.
    1965 CB-160
    1st oversize cylinders/pistons
    Barnett clutches
    Viper Fairing w/7" LED headlight
    LED Turn signals
    Front brake light switch installed
    Trail Tech Vapor Digital Dash Tach & Speedo
    Duro HF-319 K-70 look 3.00 front/3.25 rear tires
    Glass packed megaphones

“There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” …Will Rogers

"Don't touch that wire!" ...I said that...

Sponsored Links