Huge Salvage yard liquidation, Rye, AZ to Phoenix
    Senior Member Carnivorous Chicken's Avatar

Huge Salvage yard liquidation, Rye, AZ to Phoenix

Iíll try to keep this short, but itís a good story for those who may know some of the characters.
    28 years ago, a guy moved from Tacoma, WA, to Rye, AZ, with a **** ton of bikes Ė mostly Japanese, but some Brit bikes and a few Harleys as well, and a bunch of old bicycles. He set up shop by the freeway, and ran a salvage yard. He had a few cars in there as well, including an amphicar Ė for those who know what that is.
    I met him in 1997. I had just moved to Phoenix and bought a CB350F. It had ratty exhaust and I was looking for something new. I might not have found Bobís in Phoenix yet, but I definitely didnít have any of my other contacts (including the guy who raced BSAs and Indians in the Ď50s who has ayard full of bikes). So I went to Rye. I met him, we chatted, Iím from Seattle originally, so we had Washington in common. I told him what I was looking for, and found a set of 400F exhaust and 350F stock 4-4 exhaust. He wanted $125 for either. I took the 400F Ė and when I mounted it is when I found out I needed the pegs, linkage and brake lever). I kick myself to this day for not getting the 4-4. I went back two years later and he wanted $400 for it (still should have bought it).
    His appearance and demeanor had changed Ė bad teeth, erratic behavior, grumpy, and he started to charge ridiculous prices for stuff Ė as though he didnít really care about selling. Perhaps he had some other source of income? Thatís what most people concluded. Aside from the newly ridiculous prices, he and his wife and her sister would follow you around the yard, tell you not to touch anything, yell at you if you did, etc. I only went back once more, looking for a 500T tank, but he wanted $150 for a dented up piece of ****. This was 7-8 years ago. It was kind of a shame, so much stuff there (couple acres?) that was going to just sit there.
    Three years ago, when I was still in Phoenix, there was a fire at the yard. In the newspaper article he claimed to have something like 25,000 bikes, which is crazy, but couldíve been an insurance scam. About a third of the yard went up in flames. The official cause was a propane fire, most people assumed they knew what the real cause was. I called him once after that looking for something, but found it elsewhere.
    I moved back to Phoenix five days ago. The guys at Bobís are my friends, and they call me to let me know if they have something they think I might be interested in, mostly CBs and RDs. I got a call a couple days ago, RD200, mostly complete, $400, come check it out. I did, but passed. Decent buy, but a lot of work, stuck engine, missing a few parts. But they told me where they got it: Bobís Cycle Salvage bought out the Rye junkyard. Iím telling you for a couple reasons: theyíre my buddies, and I want to help them sell stuff. And I went up there today with them, their second run to pick up bikes two trucks and trailerfulls at a time. Today they let a few friends from AZ come in and have first dibs (I got a 350F, spare tank, 750F exhaust, and have dibs on one of two CB77s and either an SR250 or an SR500).
    I asked about a few other things, so here are a few I noticed. DB, a local restorer, was getting all of the Elsinores, so if thatís your bag, you missed out. There was a CL160 with fantastic pipes but torn apart carbs, missing the bowls, no tank, no seat. I offered $100, then $150, but he wanted $400. There is another CL160 with great exhaust but missing the shields. A bunch of CL/CB350s. At least two CB400Fs, but engines are frozen. At least two more 350Fs, engine frozen (I got the one with a free engine). Bunch of CB550s and CB750s. Some two smokers. Some really cool smaller bikes, 70ccs, 90ccs, including a couple done up in vintage cafť/racing gear. A few more RDs. Maybe one or two more SRs. And a ton of other Japanese stuff Ė and itís almost all old (remember, he opened with most of his stock 30 years ago). The cars are all claimed. There are a ton of vintage bicycles, but I donít know **** about them. I think the best ones (the ones that were $1500 and up) went up in flames, as did most of the Brit and American moto stuff. Along with piles of old tires, there are piles of old engines and old exhaust. And random **** like go carts, cushmans, and radio flyers.
    So, public service announcement style, if you are looking for anything you can go in person to the yard in Rye (itís right off of the freeway, youíll see it, drive in around back) Ė Rod from Bobís told me a bunch of people were going to try to come from CA this weekend. Sunday and Monday are the next days. Rod doesnít want to part anything out at this point, but wants to sell complete bikes. When he gets to the nitty gritty heíll start parting stuff out, or, I suppose, when he gets enough stuff back to the shop in AZ. You can call Bobís for more info Ė remember, its Bobís Cycle Salvage on Elwood, not Bobís the Harley shop on University, in Phoenix. Tell them the professor sent you, thatíll do me a favor with those guys because I told them I would spread the word.
    And no, I wonít discuss prices (other than the CL160, which I thought was high) and I wonít discuss inventory Ė call those guys. Happy hunting.
    1965 CL160 project
    1966 CB77 project
    1968 CL175 sloper
    1969 CB160
    1972 Yamaha CS3 (sold!)
    1973 CB350F (Red)
    1973 CB350F (Green)
    1973 CB350F (green) project
    1975 CB400F engine in a 1973 350F frame
    1975 CB550K
    1977 CB400F
    Various jumbled bits and pieces...

I called Bob's about 5 months ago looking for an 82' CB125S tank and they looked didn't have it then,they said "checkback" but I finally found one on ebay from Steve's down in GA. They didn't really answer the phone too much at Bob's though and were tough to reach in the morning..

Senior Member Carnivorous Chicken's Avatar
    Bob's is busy all the time -- I've got a couple of the guys' personal numbers and call their phones. You gotta just keep trying, their phones are ringing constantly.
    1965 CL160 project
    1966 CB77 project
    1968 CL175 sloper
    1969 CB160
    1972 Yamaha CS3 (sold!)
    1973 CB350F (Red)
    1973 CB350F (Green)
    1973 CB350F (green) project
    1975 CB400F engine in a 1973 350F frame
    1975 CB550K
    1977 CB400F
    Various jumbled bits and pieces...